Neon Tetra Dying

Gruntle said:
Not to step on any toes, but I seriously doubt you can cycle a tank in 4 days, unless you had established media from an existing tank.
This is exactly what I'm getting at, and also don't mean it in any rude way. :/

Sorry, but my freshwater was established in about 4 days. May have been 5, I don't really remember, it was well over 2 years ago since I set up my last freshwater tank. I had no existing media but I have had lots of prior experience. 

I really don't understand why it takes so long. I don't mean to be rude either but even from my very first tanks, it never took any other them longer than a week to cycle. I was so surprised my first saltwater cycled in a week because from what I heard, it takes about a month. I'll be setting up a new tank by the middle of March. I'll be sure to post something ever day on its cycling process. Maybe someone can figure out why mine do not take that long! 

You've got me intrigued now. Do you have tap (treated by adding chlorine etc, municipal supply) water, or is it from a stream, well or rainwater supply? Even so, from everything I've read and experienced, it takes a good long while to establish a bacteria colony, unless you have established filter media full of beneficial bacteria.

If you can cycle a tank in 4 days I'd love to hear how you did it.

Like I said, I'll post everything in detail in a few weeks when I set up my 75 gallon tank(SW.) I really don't get it either but I will say I try to make it as least complicated as possible. I use tap water with a water softener. But seriously, I will post everything and maybe someone can find an explication to this. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back