Neon tetra disease spreading in my tank!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishlover1N

Reaction score
So, in my 15 gallon about 2 weeks ago one of my green neon tetras got sick with neon tetra disease. I removed it and put it into my shrimp tank. (Can shrimp get neon tetra disease?) It passed away later that day. Today I noticed one of my endler guppies was dragging himself along the sand, looking really weak. One of the other endlers was nipping on him. Does that mean he could have it too now? I removed him and put him into the shrimp tank and he passed away just now.

Also, I accidentally used the same tweezers that I used to get the green neon tetra's dead body out of the tank to feed my betta fish. The tweezers were out of the water for at least a week. Could my betta get it too now??

So, in my 15 gallon about 2 weeks ago one of my green neon tetras got sick with neon tetra disease. I removed it and put it into my shrimp tank. (Can shrimp get neon tetra disease?) It passed away later that day. Today I noticed one of my endler guppies was dragging himself along the sand, looking really weak. One of the other endlers was nipping on him. Does that mean he could have it too now? I removed him and put him into the shrimp tank and he passed away just now.

Also, I accidentally used the same tweezers that I used to get the green neon tetra's dead body out of the tank to feed my betta fish. The tweezers were out of the water for at least a week. Could my betta get it too now??
Sorry for your loss, hope someone can help you out. What are your parameters?

Hi, take pictures of the entire tank, and then of the affected and suspected fish. Neon tetra disease is so called because it affects neons only, any other fish, or your shrimp; won't "get it" from your neons.

to lower bacteria survival you can increase the filtration turnover and add lots of tannins...driftwood + peat moss...
literally make the water yellow as urine....
do your weekly water changes and make sure you remove any dead fish right away as it'll only infect others when they eat it..
you mentioned an endler being sick too...I would suspect columnaris
you can go and get kanaplex and mix it with their food...let it dry then feed it to them...
pictures would be nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your fish, it's such a worry when anything like that happens.
And sad to say, other fish apart from tetras are susceptible. Angel fish, Barbs and Rasboras are some. It was called NTD cause it was first diagnosed in neon tetras, or so I've read.
You need @Colin_T

Hi, take pictures of the entire tank, and then of the affected and suspected fish. Neon tetra disease is so called because it affects neons only, any other fish, or your shrimp; won't "get it" from your neons.
Hi, the two fish who looked sick have passed away. The others look healthy for now. Many other species of fish can actually catch the parasite such as barbs, rasboras and guppies.

"In spite of its name, this disease can also be found in other families of fish, such as barbs, rasboras, and danios."

Hi, the two fish who looked sick have passed away. The others look healthy for now. Many other species of fish can actually catch the parasite such as barbs, rasboras and guppies.
If this parasite is in your tank the others wouldn't look healthy and you would have to clean out the tank and desinfect it.

Other causes are by far more plausible than neon tetra disease.

If this parasite is in your tank the others wouldn't look healthy and you would have to clean out the tank and desinfect it.

Other causes are by far more plausible than neon tetra disease.
What do you think the other causes are? I haven't heard of anything else that would cause a fish to have a curved spine and chewed up fins.

What do you think the other causes are? I haven't heard of anything else that would cause a fish to have a curved spine and chewed up fins.
Several bacterial issues can (tb for instance). As said if it is NTD you're hole stock will be affected.

Hello - I have a similar issue where one of my neon's has a white discoloration near its top fin. Is this NTD? It is behaving normal and schooling with the rest of them. I have a total of 12 in a newly cycled tank. Started with 6, then added 6 more a couple days ago...this 1 is from the new batch. 10 cherry shrimp are in there as well but the only new fish are the group of 6. I am trying to catch the little guy so I can quarantine him but that has been quite challenging for me...they're too fast.
20230815_072916.jpg

Parameters are:
50 gallon
Ph 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Hello - I have a similar issue where one of my neon's has a white discoloration near its top fin. Is this NTD? It is behaving normal and schooling with the rest of them. I have a total of 12 in a newly cycled tank. Started with 6, then added 6 more a couple days ago...this 1 is from the new batch. 10 cherry shrimp are in there as well but the only new fish are the group of 6. I am trying to catch the little guy so I can quarantine him but that has been quite challenging for me...they're too fast.View attachment 324940

Parameters are:
50 gallon
Ph 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Your parameters are as good as can be, imho.

I'd bet it's stress from the "move" to their new house.
If you can't catch him, don't pursue, as it might stress him more and affect the rest of your fish too.

Keep an eye on him, if he's eating well and not shying away from the rest of them it will probably pass on its own. If he is staying away from the others and not eating well, I'd go for quarantine and then observe if any of the others present any similar symptoms or behavior.

Most reactions

trending

Back