Neon Tetra Bumps

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This discussion has come up before but I have attempted to wage war on these bumps that grow on some neon tetras lips. I’ve tried clean, daily water changes with salt, Erythromycin, and herbal bacterial meds. I’ve read Spectogram is the best for it so going with that next if no one has a better suggestion. Pic below. Anyone had experience with this? It really appears to be viral and only affecting the neons. Tank is a 20G long heated to 76F. 0 0,5 as of last night. PH always stable at 7.6. Haven’t tested KH/GH In a while but always steady in range. I can test this afternoon if need to.
826C7F56-79C9-4194-9AE1-06E0A661C78C.jpeg

All four of neons have this. It started with just one, who I have dubbed as mr mustache man, then spread to my others. I recently posted on this and some other aquarium forums and found no help. I hope you can figure it out! Keep me posted!

I actually did some minor surgery on one like that last night. I placed the tetra in a shallow dish and popped the bump with tweezers. I thin trimmed the hanging skin with a sharp knife. Dabbed it with methylene blue before putting fish back in tank. Fish is doing well so far. I wouldn’t recommend this but the bumps were beginning to prevent the fish from eating.

I have two with it but dont know why. One has a damaged dorsal fin too. I'm trying Esha2000, one course of a standard dose didn't get rid of it so am doing strong dosage. Not hopeful but I'll let you know if it works.

Oh and one gets a cyst on it's stomach too which comes and goes.

I tried everything. Even Spectogram which is a Kanaplex and Furan-2 premixed. Did 2 weeks of water changes daily with salt, fungal treatment, etc. I read it is a virus specific to neons only. Quite frustrating!

Last edited:
I actually did some minor surgery on one like that last night. I placed the tetra in a shallow dish and popped the bump with tweezers. I thin trimmed the hanging skin with a sharp knife. Dabbed it with methylene blue before putting fish back in tank. Fish is doing well so far. I wouldn’t recommend this but the bumps were beginning to prevent the fish from eating.
Wow that's impressive. Neons are so tiny to do surgery on.

Probably more stupid than impressive but he was going to starve so what did I have to lose?
Well the fact that it succeeded was impressive. Rather than euthanasia you took chance and gave him a chance

So a long course of strong dose of Esha2000 finished, no improvement whatsoever.:no:
I don't know what else to try doing now.

:no: oh no!

So a long course of strong dose of Esha2000 finished, no improvement whatsoever.:no:
I don't know what else to try doing now.
I may have to euthanize two of mine... trouble eating. @Deanasue how are yours doing?

Still hanging in there since I got part of the growth off. I need to remove some more but want to wait for further recovery and to make sure no fungus grows.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back