Neon Tetra behaviour (hiding)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jonall

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the behaviour of one of my Neon Tetras

I have 8 neons, I have had them for about 4 months. to start with all stayed together now a strange thing has happened i only ever see 7 of them together, the 8th is always resting in a small cave at the back of the tank blocked off by a plant which only the neons and a 3 month old mollie can get to

I have not yet been able to confirm that it is always the same neon, But it almost seems although it is resting during the day and the only reason i can think of is that it may rest at day and keep watch for the others at night while they rest.

These are true shoaling fish and do not take turns on watch. If the one is putting itself into a hole and staying there, it is feeling under the weather. A weak fish is a target for agression from even it's own kind, so it does what it needs to continue.

If it does not appear back with the group soon, you will likely notice it just goes away one night... :-(

/Kris

I actually have one that has been doing that since I purchased 5 of m ine about 7 weeks ago..He comes out and joins the others now and then but usually stays in the corner of the tank behing the live plants
karen

i think all fish *take a chil now and then* lol i have 8 glowlites and one on occasion does the samw thing the nthe next days hes the 1st to pig out beating the barbs to the flakes go figure!!!! on occasion too one of the barbs gets a lil pale + hides a lil or just doesnt do the constant acrobatics he usually does the nnext day hes fine.... u read all thes ebooks and they say nitrate poisonig, hiogh temps barbs head standing are sick yadda yadda i think the ycan be like humans *hung over8 or under the weather on occasion..maybe even sad or pouting who knows right? all i know is my fish dont die (so far :-( ) after these behavior patterns so i just let um do there thing..being a beginer myself i think we all tend to over anilaize lol..let um party!! but watch the water parameters if al is good hey thats life in the tank i guess..hopefuly not death!!! :sick:

Hate this bring this old thread back up but I also am having that issue. I've had these tetras for 3 months now and all 10 of em were introduced together lightly.
Don't worry my tanks and parameters are all fine so no need to ask if ammonia or nh/nt are the issues.

1 of them is now hiding in a tree stump decor alone and haven't come up to eat when feeding time happens. I'm kinda worried and I've read that I should take him out before he spreads it to the others, but some also say that he is either injured or a lil weakend and just hiding and recovering.
I haven't found a legit answer to this issue yet but I will update to see if "how someone in this forums said it" waiting to die alone. :-(

I also don't like bringing this post up, but I have to admit I have the same issue.
After researching, most said their fish died. Probably an illness or a severe injury it couldn't recover.
I'm going to guess he is dead now, right? :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back