Neon Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem I'm having and what to do about it.

One by one my neons are suddenly appearing to loose control over their mouths! The mouth stays fully open, making it very difficult for the fish to eat and breath properly. On close inspection there is nothing wrong with the mouth, it just hangs open. Gradually the fish looses colour and dies, probably due to starvation.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on here?

WK

Is there anything in your tank that could be injuring them? Or do you have any fish that could be bullying them? What are your water readings? I'm sorry about your tetras, I have three Jumbo neons and they're so cute. If they keep dying try again with them (if you're willing to) my first neons died in four days, and now I have these and they're doing great. Are they regular neons or Jumbo neons, jumbo are a bit more hardy than regular in my opinion.

Sounds like neon tetra disease :sad: once a tank is infected with it there is no known way to get rid of it and all future neons will eventually become infected too, it has no known cure (that im aware of), on the plus side it only affects neon tetras so if you replace the ones that die with cardinal tetras you can acheive the same look in the tank.

sea monster jumbo neons are just grown on adults, with time all neons become jumbo neons (if they live that long)

Thats not entirely true. Not all future tetras willl be infected with the disease. I had neon tetra disease in my tank. The neons and cardinals i had in there all died but i now have 2 neon tetras and one other tetra that im not even sure what type he is. They have been living fine for over a year. All you have to do if you want to get new tetras is add salt (if possible), change filter cartiges, and treat the water with Cupramine. Then wait about a month and you can add new tetras.

It says all future NEONS not tetras, neon tetra disease suprisingly enough only affects neons so any other species of tetra added at the same time or after will not contract neon tetra disease

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back