Neon or Cardinal, what should I buy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi guys, me again, I just got a new 20 Gal tank, what do you guys prefer neon or cardinal? and how many should I add along with 6 cories

What's the temperature, pH and GH of the tank water?

Cardinal tetras will probably do better in the warmer climate. It's a matter of if the GH and pH are ok for them, and whichever you prefer.

What's the temperature, pH and GH of the tank water?

Cardinal tetras will probably do better in the warmer climate. It's a matter of if the GH and pH are ok for them, and whichever you prefer.
pH 7.6 GH 3 dGH

Hi guys, me again, I just got a new 20 Gal tank, what do you guys prefer neon or cardinal? and how many should I add along with 6 cories
Cardinals would get my vote. Neons are cheaper but Cardinals are more colourful, can go warmer temps which gives you more options for tank mates and they are hardier than Neons imo :)

Btw my temperature are 32 c (90F), how many should I add?

Btw my temperature are 32 c (90F), how many should I add?
32c is quite warm for both really.

Neons prefer temps 21-25c and Cardinals 23-29c (i have my tank at 25c for CT)

Id wouldnt do neons for sure.

How about Green Neons tetra?? They can handle higher temps

Last edited:
The temperature is too high for any Corydoras long-term, and for the neon (Paracheirodon innesi). Am I correct to assume the temp is because of where you live? Does it cool down at night (the tank water I mean)?

The Paracheirodon simulans would thrive in this warmth, they are found in waters at 35C. However, you do not want rapid significant changes in temperature, by which I mean if the tank temp may change from day to night over more than a few degrees.

I would wait until your new tank is well established before I would add either neon or cardinal tetra. If you can get the water chemistry right, cardinals would be my 1st choice.

The temperature is too high for any Corydoras long-term, and for the neon (Paracheirodon innesi). Am I correct to assume the temp is because of where you live? Does it cool down at night (the tank water I mean)?

The Paracheirodon simulans would thrive in this warmth, they are found in waters at 35C. However, you do not want rapid significant changes in temperature, by which I mean if the tank temp may change from day to night over more than a few degrees.
Yes, I live in Thailand and it's really hot here in day time but cool down at night, which is about 27c

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back