Neon looking very odd

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Aquatic plants prefer ammonia as food. They only use nitrate when they run out of ammonia. Plants need to turn nitrate into ammonia to use it and this takes energy so why waste energy if ammonia (made by the fish) is available.

The reason nitrate at 25 ppm is a problem is it is harmful for the fish. We now know that nitrate should be below 20 ppm.

My neon is looking quite strange lately.
It has a huge head and it's back is very bent, sort of like scoliosis?
He still eats normally but prefers his own space.
I have never done a water change and the fish/plants are fine.
Picture attached, by the way the water is not yellow, it's just the lighting.
They are fed 'Aquarian Complete Nutrition' and frozen bloodworms everyday.

It's a 200l tank with quite a few fish:
1 swordtail
9 guppies
1 panda garra
3 red phantom tetras
10 cardinal tetras
1 neon tetra
6 kuhli loaches (I think)
1 half banded spiny eel
Ok, so we all make mistakes, as evidenced by the time stupid me kept a betta in a bowl the size of a large milk carton. That’s understandable, and in this hobby, nearly inevitable. But you should consider returning/relocating/adding more of a lot of these fish.

Many are schooling/shoaling species that are supposed to be kept in groups. Neon tetra are supposed to be in groups of six, so did you only buy one, or did he get mistaken for a cardinal tetra? Half-banded spiny eels are supposed to be in groups of four, minimum. Swordtails are supposed to be kept in groups of five. Red phantom tetras need groups of six.

The PH is also probably not great for any fish here. Guppies and swordtails need water with a ph at/above seven, and in the acidic water (6.5 or lower) the neon/cardinal tetra and kuhli loach need, none of them are going to do great. They might survive, but seriously, do not count on it.

You’re also overstocked, and will be by a extreme amount if you get the required numbers for the schooling/shoaling species. I suggest you simply give away a lot of these fish (Kuhli loaches, for example, are very skittish, and the neon is probably best quarantined until he dies/gets better and is then given back to the pet store).

I’m sorry if I’m laying into you, but…this just isn’t a good setup. Research them, and then give some back, and commit to doing regular water changes on it (10-20 percent per week is usually done on tanks). Having a lot of plants means absolutely jack, and you still need water changes. Maybe give all of them back if it’s a new tank- it’s not worth putting all of this in just for every single fish to die in weeks (New Tank syndrome kills fish suddenly within weeks of the new tank, which is probably why none of your fish are dead).

Good job feeding them, by the way, fish love bloodworms, and thank you for introducing me to my new favorite bottomfeeder. Just…maybe next time, seek advice before any of the fish get sick.

Ok, so we all make mistakes, as evidenced by the time stupid me kept a betta in a bowl the size of a large milk carton. That’s understandable, and in this hobby, nearly inevitable. But you should consider returning/relocating/adding more of a lot of these fish.

Many are schooling/shoaling species that are supposed to be kept in groups. Neon tetra are supposed to be in groups of six, so did you only buy one, or did he get mistaken for a cardinal tetra? Half-banded spiny eels are supposed to be in groups of four, minimum. Swordtails are supposed to be kept in groups of five. Red phantom tetras need groups of six.

The PH is also probably not great for any fish here. Guppies and swordtails need water with a ph at/above seven, and in the acidic water (6.5 or lower) the neon/cardinal tetra and kuhli loach need, none of them are going to do great. They might survive, but seriously, do not count on it.

You’re also overstocked, and will be by a extreme amount if you get the required numbers for the schooling/shoaling species. I suggest you simply give away a lot of these fish (Kuhli loaches, for example, are very skittish, and the neon is probably best quarantined until he dies/gets better and is then given back to the pet store).
...I've had them all for almost 4 years and they've all been fine like this.
The spiny eel is 5-6 years old and has always lived by himself.
The red phantoms have always lived in a group of 3.
The swordtail was a rescue. I dont know how old she is but probably around 3-4.
She came from a tiny, tiny tank with a guppy and a platy.
The cardinals came in groups of 5. Unfortunately they only had 4 so he gave me a neon to replace it. I thought it wasn't a great idea but they still swim together.
It's not really New Tank Syndrome anymore as it's been 6 months.
No one on here has ever said anything about the groups the fish are kept in.

And like I said, the nitrates were only high since I did a water change.
I did more than 10 tests over a period of time and it's always been 0-10.

Last edited:
Have you ever posted them on the platform before? Or for that matter, any other forum?

Have you ever posted them on the platform before? Or for that matter, any other forum?
Yes I have. Many times.

Is that the reason the eel is always going up the side of the glass? Because he wants friends?
Thought it was just because he was hungry.
I don't know where he came from or what I can do with him if I need to rehome him.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back