neon goes belly up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Deano

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive had five neons in my tank for quite a while. I woke up one morining to find that one of them was swimming ver irratically. He was swimming upsidedown and in circles...30mins later he was dead. All of the other neons are fine and the water quality is ok. None of the other fish have been bothering the neons although the neons to tend to fight with each other quite a lot.

Any ideas as to what caused his death??

Fish do just die. It happens. How old was it, (how old was it when you got it)? In much the same way as all people don't die at 75, there are congenital problems, (particulaly so with intensively bred/inbred species), that cull certain individuals at various ages.

If the water is okay and the rest of the fish are okay - I'd say it was just one of those things. No need to start blaming diseases which are pretty rare.

Not sure how old it was, ive had it 4 about 2 weeks. Ive only had my tank set up 4 about 3 weeks so it could be the so called 'new tank syndrome'

Ah, you hadn't mentioned...

>>>
Ive only had my tank set up 4 about 3 weeks so it could be the so called 'new tank syndrome'
<<<

... that. Neons, and indeed, many tetras are a bit sensitive to water conditions, hence you will often see advice along the lines of "don't add Neons until the tank has been running trouble free for 3 months". If you are sure your tank is correctly cycled, then there is no need to delay this long of course, but you do need to be sure.

I'd get testing my water and doing water changes as needed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back