Need To Treat Finrot And Bacteria At The Same Time

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFriends

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Two days ago an Endlers Guppy showed signs of Finrot. Yesterday I bought Interpet No.8 and treated the aquarium with it.

But today 2 other Endlers are are also unwell, and now the symptoms are more clear, not of Finrot, but of Bacteria (besides fins continuing degrading, now they are also breathing more rapidly, near the surface, getting thinner, and colours fading).

My question is: Can I buy and use today the Interpet No. 9, or do I really need to wait those 7 days before other treatments as recommended on the Interpet No. 8 instructions? (Their active ingredients are pasted below.) I fear these guppies will be dead in 6 more days. And won't they contaminate the other fish in my aquarium? I have 3 Honey Gouramis and 4 Neon Tetras - all fine up to now. (45L / 10G aquarium.)

Which is more dangerous: mixing medications 1 day apart, or leaving infected fish in the tank? We don't have a quarantine tank.

Perhaps waiting 1 day more, then treating for the bacteria? Kind of middle ground??

The active ingredient in the No.8 is an alcohol. Wouldn't the pump and all those bubbles evaporate most of that alcohol in 24hrs?? Or maybe the problem is to overwhelm the fish little livers?? 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

----------------------------------------

I've found these active ingredients in another thread in this forum:

Number 9 (Anti Internal Bacteria)
Bronopol (0.522%)
Formaldehyde (0.9%)
Benzalkonium Chloride (0.25%)

Number 8 (Anti Fungus and Finrot)
Phenoxyethanol (40%)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/138038-the-a-to-z-of-common-medications/page-2#entry2017572

If you want to change medication I would suggest a large water change as you dare, at least 50% and add carbon to your filter for at least 24 hours to remove what is left, however I have never used interpet medications so I do not know what affect changing the medication over so quickly would have on the fish. Is there a contact number or website on the packaging?, your best option would be to contact interpet direct.

Thank you very much star4, very sensible advices.

News: A couple of hours ago I went to the shop to buy the Interpet No.9 medication, and I saw there a small 7L tank on a half price offer (very cheap, with filter and heater), so I bought it, and now I can separate fish. Should I put the sick guppies in the new tank, with new water, and with the new medicine?

Thanks in advance for any advice

I had a little bit of fin rot with my Ameca Splendens I was overstocked and they started nipping fins ( ended up with a bit of fin rot ) put those infected in a Wave 15 tank but also treated the main tank - used NTLABS Anti-Ulcer & Finrot

Ingredients
Actriflavine 60.2mg/100ml
9-Aminoacridine 60.2mg/100ml
Formaldehyde 1800mg/100ml

Cleared up after a couple of doses

You can easily do that, just put some of your mature media from your current filter in the new filter and your good to go
smile.png
, I do that all the time if I have to set up a tank quickly.

With using medicine make sure you have extra surface agitation from the filter or if possible an airline, medications can remove oxygen from the water, just in case you didnt know :D

Thank you all for the replies.

Update: Unfortunately that Endler has died, and after him 2 more Endlers also died. They had been transferred to the my new quarantine aquarium, treated with Interpet No. 9, but I think it was too late. My 4th (and last) Endler looks totally fine though, healthy, perfect colours, fins and behaviour.

And the other fish in my main aquarium look completely fine as well - 4 Neon Tetras and 3 Honey Gouramis. I think and hope that the crisis is over - albeit with 3 fatal casualties...

But I'm still not sure what happened to those 3 Endlers. It was not an over-stocked aquarium, we had only 8 tiny fish and 3 small fish, in a 45L or 10G aquarium, kept clean, water tested once or twice a week, and every day since this disease 1st appeared. We bought these Endlers around 3 weeks ago. I wonder if they were already infected back then?

If so, and if this disease takes a few weeks to "develop" inside the fish, could it still affect the others?

The problem with sick fish is you can never be sure where it came from. Stress is also a major factor in fish illness especially with recently bought fish, sometimes you dont know how long they have been in the shop or how the shop treats their water, if they use aquarium salt to keep the fish healthy the shock of going to straight freshwater can upset their systems making them prone to bacteria in your tank that would normally not be a problem. The stress on the fish already in the tank when new comers arrive can lead to a sudden bacterial infection developing, its not always a case of new fish bringing in a problem. Sometimes you do get weak fish that have been bred for the trade and no thought has been put into their breeding, ie brother & sister spawnings. 

If you are worried about the other fish, do some extra water changes, you have already medicated the tank so they "should" be fine, unfortunately as the endlers disease/infection could not be clearly identified it is impossible to 100% guarantee the other fish will be fine.. If you can get some Vitazin, made by waterlife (can be found on ebay) soak their food in this twice a week this stuff has added vitamins and will help your remaining fish's immune system just in case. When you get some new fish add vitazin to the food the first feeding and 3rd feeding then weekly for 3 weeks. As you have a spare tank now, I would advise quarantining new fish :)

Hope this helps :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back