Need To Say Something

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but Micko has a point. I know we should be empathetic to the newbies especially, but when I tell someone that it is unnacceptable to keep clown loaches in a 30g tank, i was told "Get off my back! Geez, I know how to keep them from growing over 7 inches"

But then again.....he said he used to breed clown loaches....

Dieses, funny how that poster disappeared & a new one very similar appeared the next day

For the record Micko, I don't think I've ever seen you post anything rude. I think you are more of a "tell it like it is" kind of guy which I think is good. Sometimes people are also overly sensitive and can't handle the truth.

Truth hurts sometimes, but if we want to encourage & not discourage, then maybe a gentler approach would help some people, rather than tell them everything they're doing is wrong

Like I already said. I can't thank the members enough for being straighforward with me when i first joined. I was told I was doing a lot wrong, but when I fixed the problems, I noticed a big difference in the behaviors of my fish. Truth does hurt sometimes, but the truth did worlds for me, even when I got my feelers hurt.

As long as the criticsm is constructive, it can only have positive results, & we all want what's best for our fish

For the record Micko, I don't think I've ever seen you post anything rude. I think you are more of a "tell it like it is" kind of guy which I think is good. Sometimes people are also overly sensitive and can't handle the truth.

Thank you. Although I know I did end up being rude the other day on here.

Different people have different attitude, behaviours, manerisms and approach's. We're all unique so we cannot all act and react the same.

I don't agree with the original post. Just the other day someone come on asking about his stock, 60 something litre with two of this, two of that and two or three danios. Once I said his tank wasn't big enough for the danios and forget adding to the tank until they are sorted he went off on one. When I said they'd need a 4ft tank minimum, so other eejit come on and said I was wrong. Only for others, regular members that person would have believed the other person as it suited him. Aye, I was harsh in the end up as he said they were staying in his tank. I mean what's the point in asking a question about stocking and not listening when you do get an answer? I've done many things wrong whilst fish keeping, a lot I've leant from doing wrong and being told how to do it correctly, whether I asked or wanted that info at the time it was the answer I needed.
If someone comes on with a problem and tells you their stocking what are you going to say? Say nothing about their stocking and just tell them to do extra water changes? I won't. I'll tell them if I know they are doing wrong. Like al said, I'm not really on here to make friends, if I do then that's all the better but I'm not going to people please either.
I may be harsh sometimes and I will think a wee bit more, possibly, as to how that post sounds before I press the post button, maybe, just maybe.
Its already been said that its very hard to get humour, concern or any expression across in a forum or text. 93% of communication is all tone, pitch and non-verbal communication so we're missing a lot through just reading.

I also commented on that thread and stated my opinion which was rather similar to yours.
In that situation and what was going on yes you were correct in saying what you said, it needed to be said.
But like the clown loaches situation that also I thought people were correct in saying what they said, it may have sounded harsh to the OP but it needed to be said, yes there are certain things that need to be said but people take things differently.
Yes its okay to be harsh at times but sometimes people are being harsh when it is not necessarily needed.
I have changed my views a bit and understand the other side but I still stand my ground about people needing to empathize a bit.

I know on the clown loach thread, I did get harsh after that comment that was made to me.....i told him to have fun with his sick, stunted fish......sorry bout that :unsure:

I know on the clown loach thread, I did get harsh after that comment that was made to me.....i told him to have fun with his sick, stunted fish......sorry bout that :unsure:

I think in this case it needed to be said since he did not want to listen and did not seem to care and was purposely stunting the fish.
Nothing to be sorry about IMHO.
--------------------------------------------

Well at the end of the day we all have our own opinions and are all different, some of us have a humorous mind *cough* tizer.
I dont think im very liked on this forum but IMO your all knowledgeable and mature enough to say what needs to be said, You dont say things for fun or to upset anyone.
So for that reason I thank all of you for your help and support and I apologies to anyone I have offended.

Have you thought of the flip side of the coin, experienced members come on for chat with like minded people and every day the see the same thing for the noobies without a hint of using that big search button at the top, also you will find they ask lots of question then go for months without contributing only to come back when they need help? always two sides to a story :good:

I'm somewhat guilty of this, but I really don't mean to be. I still feel like a newbie in the fish world despite having had my tanks for a year now. When I read other member's posts, I'm blown away by their knowledge and experience. So I try to participate where I can, but I don't feel qualified to give much in the way of advice. :(

I'm somewhat guilty of this, but I really don't mean to be. I still feel like a newbie in the fish world despite having had my tanks for a year now. When I read other member's posts, I'm blown away by their knowledge and experience. So I try to participate where I can, but I don't feel qualified to give much in the way of advice. :(

Every member is as important as the rest. No one was full of info when they first started, it takes time as I'm sure your aware. I made most of my learning from my mistakes to be honest. I wasn't aware of forums until the past year, had been keeping fish for 5 years previous to that. :crazy:

Thanks to the people who rode my butt
:hey:

Every member is as important as the rest. No one was full of info when they first started, it takes time as I'm sure your aware. I made most of my learning from my mistakes to be honest. I wasn't aware of forums until the past year, had been keeping fish for 5 years previous to that. :crazy:

Thanks to the people who rode my butt
:hey:
That was some bad wording....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back