Need Tips On Catching Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EllieW

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

My mollies and Platy have had a second lot of fry in my 180 litre tank. i have another smaller tank to put them in so they dont get eaten but haven't got a hope in catching them.

Anyone got any tips?

Im moving them so they dont get all eaten up by my other fish

try using the tube off your gravel vac if you've got one,suck them into a bucket :)

yeah a gravel vac to suck them up but also get a torch and shine it into the tank. Fry either swim towards it or away from it and then you can group them up and make it easier.

if you have a spare tank then next time put the pregnant female into the spare tank before she drops. this way you only have to catch the mother to return to the main tank :good:

if you have a spare tank then next time put the pregnant female into the spare tank before she drops. this way you only have to catch the mother to return to the main tank :good:

Only problem is i have fry in there already from another fish so they'd get eaten up :-(

Thanks for your help everyone, try it out tonight :D

Congrats on the fry :good: The hose works well, but if you end up taking too much water out, another alternative is a turkey baster, they are great for grabbing individual fry out.

Good luck!

Congrats on the fry :good: The hose works well, but if you end up taking too much water out, another alternative is a turkey baster, they are great for grabbing individual fry out.

Good luck!

good thinking :good:

Knowing me the complete tank would be empty

To stop the water draining out of the tank,put your finger over the end of the tube thats in the bucket,while you look for fry,once you spot them,take your finger away,hence sucked up fry :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back