Need Suggestions For Fish That Loves Plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lynz781

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My tank has gotten to the stage now where it is very heavily planted. I would like ideas for a small community mid to top swimmer fish that would really appreciate this. The water is around pH 6 and tank mates include cories, shrimp, snails, pristella tetras, two danios (not getting any more of these) and I think thats it.

Any suggestions?

Pearl gouramis,dwarf gouramis and moonlight gouramis.Gouramis make a good center peice fish ^_^

Hmm I was thinking something a bit smaller. I wouldn't get dwarf gouramis again as I used to have a male flame gourami who tried to bite other fish and he ate my soft plants. I'd perhaps go for sunset as they are small but I don't know if they eat plants?

Also forgot to mention my tank is just a two footer/ 63 litres.

This is a hard one...Aha a ram cichlid,they are small,like plants & are suited to your Ph.-http://cichlid.infocrux.com/Ram-Cichlid.html

kribensis would also be suited. :good:

Hatchetfish (Gasteropelecus sternicla) are a popular surface dweller.

And of course there's your bread and butter livebearers (guppy, platy, swordtail etc.) if you want some colour. edit - but these prefer more alkaline water, generally.

Yeah I really did consider hatchet fish at one point. But I think they grow to about 2-3 inches? Im not sure my tank would be big enough. They would be really ideal as there is lots of cover from the plants.

You could get the marbled hatchet fish Canegiella strigata, which only attains a maximum length of about 1.5"/4cm. They are also more attractive in my opinion and will appreciate some floating plants. With all hatchetfish remember they are good jumpers so be sure to have a tight fitting lid.

Don't think I could get pygmy hatchets. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back