Need Some Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Alrighty, so we got a letter from our home association saying we have to do something about the front of our home lol. The area right in front of the porch needs to be fixed.
Photo.... I outlined the area in orange that we have to fix.
outline.jpg

As you can see, it looks pretty busted lol.
We're not supposed to be letting the grass grow in that area, but woops... lol Termites ate a lot of the wood chips we put down, so that didn't help.
So anyways...

I'd really want to plant a butterfly & hummingbird garden. But I'm not sure what kind of plants to get.
I want something that I'm not going to have to replant every year. And something that's not going to look awful during the winter months.
Any help would be fantastic.

Also... what is a good easy houseplant that is cat safe? I know whatever plant we get, our cat is going to want to chew on it, so would like something that's not going to poison him :p

Alrighty, so we got a letter from our home association saying we have to do something about the front of our home lol. The area right in front of the porch needs to be fixed.
Photo.... I outlined the area in orange that we have to fix.
outline.jpg

As you can see, it looks pretty busted lol.
We're not supposed to be letting the grass grow in that area, but woops... lol Termites ate a lot of the wood chips we put down, so that didn't help.
So anyways...

I'd really want to plant a butterfly & hummingbird garden. But I'm not sure what kind of plants to get.
I want something that I'm not going to have to replant every year. And something that's not going to look awful during the winter months.
Any help would be fantastic.

Also... what is a good easy houseplant that is cat safe? I know whatever plant we get, our cat is going to want to chew on it, so would like something that's not going to poison him :p
Lol home owners associations suck, hate when people don't let you do with your own house =/

Yep... ours isn't THAT bad, but it's still pretty annoying.. specially considering that some of the lawns in the neighborhood are AWFUL. I'm talking about, the people never water their lawns so the grass is all brown and dead bad yet, here we are with a small portion of our yard looking bad and we get a notice saying we have to fix it... WTH :crazy:

wow! i think that you have a beautiful house and someone at the office needs to tale a chill pill..... gosh you should walk around some of the council/ housing asoc estates in this country ( tho they are a very good example for why they would want to keep on top of jobs like this) theres one a few hundred meters from me and honestly they mostly have matching garden decorations... in the form of old fridges, broken kids bikes etc etc, im no snob i was brought up on such an estate but it doesnt require a lot of effort to keep your garden clean, i think any housing asoc here would be proud to have you as a tenant :)

good luck with your plans

shelagh xxxxxxxxxx

Bah i cant believe people tell you what to do with your own garden :blink: :crazy: thats mad! Id never stand for that, i'd be tempted to go for some miniture topiary hedge and cut it to the shape of someone giving a middle finger LOL or far far far worse :hey: -_-

I grew up in an estate area but moved out when i was 6 an have always since then been in country houses with large gardens. I have recently moved back into an estate, its a 'nice' estate as they go...but still an estate...

I now get laughed at or raised eyebrows because we put a fence up round our tiny strip of grass round the edge of the house (got sick of someone letting their dog poop on the grass (later caught the dog in the act and rolled its fur in it, the owner hasnt let it off the lead near our house again! hah) and have since put up a small plastic greenhouse and have a huge veggie patch with cabbage, purple sprouting broccolli, potatoes, french beans, runner beans, red onions, white onions, peas, sweetcorn, tomatoes, chillies, squash, pumpkin, courgettes and tomato plants, been pretty self sufficient for veggies for few months! Saved so much money in such a little bit of grass!

Lol, the home owners association really isn't too terrible. I mean of course it sucks that we have to get permission to do things, and do things a certain way, but they're really lenient when it comes to other things as well.
We were going to fix up that part of the lawn anyway, it's just that the letter was a kick in the butt to do it lol.

So any recommendations on plants? Was thinking about butterfly bushes, but other than that, no idea. Would really like things that aren't going to look too awful during the winter & will be easy to take care of.

I know you wish to fix this eventually, but what intrigues me (living in the UK) is what if you sit back and do nothing.
What happens, do you get a fine, dragged of by the Gardening Cops. Placed on Death Row what.
Please enlighten me.
ATB
C

I know you wish to fix this eventually, but what intrigues me (living in the UK) is what if you sit back and do nothing.
What happens, do you get a fine, dragged of by the Gardening Cops. Placed on Death Row what.
Please enlighten me.
ATB
C

They could put a lien on our house.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_lien

Not sure exactly what it is, but it's not good.

Lavender is always a good bet, there are quite a few varieties so you can mix and match. A lot of woody herbs look quite nice and attract butterflies, things like rosemary, creeping thyme as groundcover.

How about some dwarf conifers for their all year colour and mulch around them with slate chippings or coarse gravel....extremely hardy and self sufficient little trees.
Other advantage with this is that it will be basically maintenance free and their slow growth rate means no need to trim or cut them back...once planted and mulched over it's a case of job done and simply sit back and enjoy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back