Need some expert advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LITTLE257622

Reaction score
I wanted to reach out to get some advice on an issue im having. I recently made the mistake of making a diy rockwall using silicone. The rock wall wasn't the mistake made....but using mineral spirits to thin the silicone was indeed was the "killer" here. Once i realized the mistake made i immediately tore the the rock wall out of the tank & proceeded toss everything that came in contact with the oil based solvent. For the filters i have threw all the bio media away as well as the sponges that were in the filters. My question would be how to go about trying to clean out the filter housing....My plan was to fill the tank with a dawn & degreaser mix & let it run thru the tank & medialess filters to try & possibly get rid of the oil based solvent ? Anyone have any ideas on what could help me at this point ?

sorry but i wouldn't use the filter and using an oil based cleaning product (dawn) + degreaser is even less of an option

once again sorry but looks like expensive lesson

Never try to thin out silicon, just use it as it comes out of the tube.

Take the tank outside and put is somewhere safe on the ground. Put some foam under each end and wash the tank out with soapy water 4 or 5 times. Rinse well after soaping it up. Hopefully you can get the oil out. If that doesn't work, try bleach but don't leave it in contact with the silicon for more than about 15 minutes because bleach breaks down the silicon.

Soap and water would be my choice.

what do you think about salt in the equation ?....im not trying to throw out my 2 week old fx6.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back