Need opinions

Doggfather

Al Bundy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 25 Gallon tank i'm intending to breed Chocolate Gourami in, there will also be 4-5 Khuli loaches in it.

Anyway, my question is what will be a better substrate, sand or gravel? I need something the loaches can burrow in AND a substrate that plants can grow well in.

Thanks for you help!

Any opinions for other fish/substrate/tank decorations or anything else related would be greatly appriciated

my loachs seemed to bury themseleves fine in very fine gravel..hope this is of help :)

except the larger bits will naturally work their way to the top... so you'd endup with 1" layer of sand with a 1" layer of laterite on top :)

what do plants grow better in, sand or gravel?

Either or, the nice thing about sand is that it anchors plants better but you have to stir it to get rid of dead spots. I have been running a hydroponics with gravel for a year now (fed on aquarium water) and the plants are doing well...........I also have gravel in my heavily planted tank and all the plants are doing well but I want to change to sand soon

I've heard chocolate gouramis are hard to keep and very hard to breed. Are you sure adding the khuli loaches wouldn't prevent the gourammis from potentially spawning?

I've heard chocolate gouramis are hard to keep and very hard to breed. Are you sure adding the khuli loaches wouldn't prevent the gourammis from potentially spawning?

I'v talked to many people on the topic and they agree that the khulis shouldn't bother the chocolates or deter them from spawing.

Looks like it's sand then :)

IMO sand is the best option, most plants do well in it and IME all Loaches love sand! And most natural habitats have a substrate of muddy, silty sand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back