Need help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bluephoenix4462

Reaction score
Hello, Ive been having a issue with my Sodalis corydoras. I've had 2 out of 5 die removed them immediately they didnt look to have anything physically wrong with them. Now I have another one thats acting off like the other 2, swims in the same spot constantly doesn't swim with the rest of the group even if they try to swim with him. The water pH is 6.8 and the temperature is 73°f. I have attached photos cause he does look off from the rest

Attachments

• IMG_20220217_122258267.jpg
    IMG_20220217_122258267.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20220217_122303493.jpg
    IMG_20220217_122303493.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20220217_122433502.jpg
    IMG_20220217_122433502.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 66
Hello, Ive been having a issue with my Sodalis corydoras. I've had 2 out of 5 die removed them immediately they didnt look to have anything physically wrong with them. Now I have another one thats acting off like the other 2, swims in the same spot constantly doesn't swim with the rest of the group even if they try to swim with him. The water pH is 6.8 and the temperature is 73°f. I have attached photos cause he does look off from the rest
What are your water parameters?

They are dying of hunger. You need to watch and make sure they get the food. Worms are best..live or frozen. Flake foods are good but not as "only" food for them.

It is difficult to tell from the photos, but I think the one fish may have ich, or a protein problem. You had five, when did you get them? Have any new fish or plants been added to this tank recently? I'll deal with the protein issue below.

As for temperature, they are at the lower end of their range, but the lower and higher ends of a temperature range means the fish can tolerate these temperatures but not necessarily permanently. It would be better in the mid-range, 76-77F/24-25C. This in itself is not likely the issue here, but can be a factor.

These fish were likely wild caught, and a better diet would be Fluval Bug Bites, Omega One Shrimp Pellets, and among frozen food daphnia (ideal) and shrimp. Worms can be problematical with Corydoras diet, but these foods mentioned are nutritious and closest to their natural habitat foods which are insect larvae, insects and crustaceans.

The API pellets I cannot find nutritional data for, I am concerned about the protein. The Tetra flakes I would not feed cories; for one thing, protein is 46% which is high. Too much protein in a cory diet can cause white protein lumps, and these may be what I see on the one fish rather than ich. I just cannot tell from the photos. But I would highly recommend you switch foods. Those I mention are not too high in protein, and they have no cereal meal/fish meal fillers.

It is difficult to tell from the photos, but I think the one fish may have ich, or a protein problem. You had five, when did you get them? Have any new fish or plants been added to this tank recently? I'll deal with the protein issue below.

As for temperature, they are at the lower end of their range, but the lower and higher ends of a temperature range means the fish can tolerate these temperatures but not necessarily permanently. It would be better in the mid-range, 76-77F/24-25C. This in itself is not likely the issue here, but can be a factor.

These fish were likely wild caught, and a better diet would be Fluval Bug Bites, Omega One Shrimp Pellets, and among frozen food daphnia (ideal) and shrimp. Worms can be problematical with Corydoras diet, but these foods mentioned are nutritious and closest to their natural habitat foods which are insect larvae, insects and crustaceans.

The API pellets I cannot find nutritional data for, I am concerned about the protein. The Tetra flakes I would not feed cories; for one thing, protein is 46% which is high. Too much protein in a cory diet can cause white protein lumps, and these may be what I see on the one fish rather than ich. I just cannot tell from the photos. But I would highly recommend you switch foods. Those I mention are not too high in protein, and they have no cereal meal/fish meal fillers.
I just recently got them January 23rd, since then I haven't added any new fish to the tank the current fish that are in with them are 2 panda garras, 1 peppered cory, 6 zebra danios, and 2 sparkling gourami. As for plants nothing new has been added. I will try switching to one of the foods you said to see if it helps. Ive also raised the temperature in the tank to 76°f.

Last edited:
I just recently got them January 23rd, since then I haven't added any new fish to the tank the current fish that are in with them are 2 panda garras, 1 peppered cory, 6 zebra danios, and 2 sparkling gourami. As for plants nothing new has been added. I will try switching to one of the foods you said to see if it helps. Ive also raised the temperature in the tank to 76°f.

On the food, if you select only one, make it the Bug Bites. This is superior to all the others, even though they are good.

I'd like someone else to see these fish and decide on the white "spot" issue. If this is ich, raising the temp to 30C/86F over the next 24 hours and keeping it there for two weeks will or should deal with it--if it is ich. I cannot tell. But, given the deaths so far, ich is more likely than the protein issue.

Kind of hard to tell but the photos do look like some spots just below the dorsal fin. If it is Ich it was slower to develop but the fish might have only have a light infection when brought into the tank. The colder water also would have lengthened the time between generations if it was Ich.

Ich does fit with the description on how the disease is progressing.

Last time I had Ich in a tank some of the fish did not have spots externally but after they died I found they had cysts in their gills. Did you examine the fish for Ich cysts?

Fish diseases are not an area I have lots of experience with but the photos do look like there might be cysts on the fish, especially the last one. I am with @Byron in that I would like someone else to look at the photos. Although I know it is not an easy ask somewhat clearer photos would help.

On the food, if you select only one, make it the Bug Bites. This is superior to all the others, even though they are good.

I'd like someone else to see these fish and decide on the white "spot" issue. If this is ich, raising the temp to 30C/86F over the next 24 hours and keeping it there for two weeks will or should deal with it--if it is ich. I cannot tell. But, given the deaths so far, ich is more likely than the protein issue.
Would raising the temperature to 86°f for 2 weeks harm the other fish that I have in the tank or would they be fine since its only for 2 weeks?

Would raising the temperature to 86°f for 2 weeks harm the other fish that I have in the tank or would they be fine since its only for 2 weeks?

The other species named will manage for two weeks. There are actually very, very few species of "tropical" aquarium fish that will have significant issues with high temperatures short-term. And it is a much safer treatment for most fish, especially cories (characins are another) than using any medication.

I will start the process of raising the temperature to 86°f. Thank you for the help and I will keep this updated on if it helps.

80f is high for Corydoras. Any blue die medication will kill ich. But the problem might start with hungry weak fish.

I tend to agree it is mainly a nutritional issue.

For some reason Tetra flakes often occures in Cory-issues. I suspect that not the amount of protein is the issue but the kind of protein is (protein isn't simply protein but depends of the amino acids involved).
There might be a lack of other miberaps / vitamins.

Are the API botomfeederpellets the ones with shrimp in them.

Variation is key and certainly in case of wildcaught fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back