Need help : (

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

bpd0110

Reaction score
So I have a baby female beta, 2 gold rings, a baby synodontis eupterus catfish, and a male guppy in an 8 gallon tank. I've had them for exactly just over a week now. However, I didn't have time to cycle the tank for 2 weeks before I added the fish, as they were a gift. I've been using 2 drops of Seachem prime for every gallon I put into the tank (during a water change.) I have a 50 mL bottle that after this week, is now just less than half left. Been using Tetra SafeStart concentrated plus for the bacteria. My thermometer is getting here Monday, the heater has been set to 78 degrees. I've had some dead leaves floating to the surface, but have been taking them out daily. I noticed the other day the plants roots aren't necessarily reaching the soil underneath the rocks. Mentioned this to my friend, but she said they should be fine. Bought these plants from people in person, and a few from PetCo. These were the master test results on ammonia and nitrite an hour ago, before I just did a 50% water change (even though we did a 25% water change yesterday.) Also did a filter sponge change (I've been flipping it over then changing it every other day.) Right before the water changed, it looked like ammonia was at 1 ppm, nitrite was at 0 ppm, and they were swimming fast, as if trying to get out... they've been a lot calmer since the change. Help me if you can. I'm not sure why the ammonia is still so high. : ( about to test nitrate.

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 80
  • soil.JPG
    soil.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 75
yeah, you need to cycle the tank.. fish in cycle is dangerous. guppy and betta should not live together, as their hardness and ph is different. bettas need low and guppies need high. what is your ph and gh?

better pictures? what plants do you have

Hi
Looks like your nitrogen cycle is on its way with ammonia at 1ppm it will rise a lot more before it starts dropping once that happens then nitrite will start rising when nitrite reaches its peak ammonia should realistically be at 0ppm coz there will be Bactria breaking down ammonia to nitrite. Nitrite will take a little while to decrease but it will eventually read 0 ppm a full nitrogen cycle takes anywhere between 6-8 weeks.
Now since you already have fish I suggest treat the aquarium volume with prime every 24 hours to detoxify any toxins in the water and if ammonia reaches 1ppm which yours reads then do water changes to lower the readings then water test followed by water change if the readings get high. Also prime can be dosed x5 the normal amount in case of toxin spikes. Donā€™t clean the filter coz thatā€™s where the beneficial Bactria lives and most importantly never clean anything with tap water as chlorine will kill beneficial Bactria use aquarium water for any cleaning and donā€™t clean everything at once.
I know it must be stressful but it looks like your nitrogen cycle is on its way just do what youā€™re doing test the water, treat water before adding new water when doing water changes and also treat every 24 hours to detoxify any toxins since you already have fish in your tank as ammonia and nitrite will kill your fish so just have patience and monitor your fish and donā€™t over feed. There are a lot of experienced people on here that will be happy to help if you have any further questions.
Good luck.

yeah, you need to cycle the tank.. fish in cycle is dangerous. guppy and betta should not live together, as their hardness and ph is different. bettas need low and guppies need high. what is your ph and gh?

better pictures? what plants do you have
don't even know what plants I have tbh... I just took out a bunch of plant leaves and a few roots that were floating above the rocks. seems like pH is 7.4-7.6

Attachments

• pH.JPG
    pH.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 67
Hi
Looks like your nitrogen cycle is on its way with ammonia at 1ppm it will rise a lot more before it starts dropping once that happens then nitrite will start rising when nitrite reaches its peak ammonia should realistically be at 0ppm coz there will be Bactria breaking down ammonia to nitrite. Nitrite will take a little while to decrease but it will eventually read 0 ppm a full nitrogen cycle takes anywhere between 6-8 weeks.
Now since you already have fish I suggest treat the aquarium volume with prime every 24 hours to detoxify any toxins in the water and if ammonia reaches 1ppm which yours reads then do water changes to lower the readings then water test followed by water change if the readings get high. Also prime can be dosed x5 the normal amount in case of toxin spikes. Donā€™t clean the filter coz thatā€™s where the beneficial Bactria lives and most importantly never clean anything with tap water as chlorine will kill beneficial Bactria use aquarium water for any cleaning and donā€™t clean everything at once.
I know it must be stressful but it looks like your nitrogen cycle is on its way just do what youā€™re doing test the water, treat water before adding new water when doing water changes and also treat every 24 hours to detoxify any toxins since you already have fish in your tank as ammonia and nitrite will kill your fish so just have patience and monitor your fish and donā€™t over feed. There are a lot of experienced people on here that will be happy to help if you have any further questions.
Good luck.
Gotcha. I will start adding prime every 24 hours. I don't clean the filter, just end up switching the sponge. I've had those beneficial bacteria beads in there luckily.

Donā€™t switch or replace anything from the filter, your filter houses most of your beneficial Bactria replacing sponges will just get rid of the Bactria. Beneficial Bactria lives on surfaces like ceramic rings sponges, bio balls etc.

Donā€™t switch or replace anything from the filter, your filter houses most of your beneficial Bactria replacing sponges will just get rid of the Bactria. Beneficial Bactria lives on surfaces like ceramic rings sponges, bio balls etc.
Gotcha. Keeping the sponges from now on. Thank you.

Just a heads up, you will likely need to rehome your catfish, since the synodontis catfish will get a foot long when in an appropriatly sized aquarium. Don't want you to be surprised when one day he has eaten everybody else.

Just a heads up, you will likely need to rehome your catfish, since the synodontis catfish will get a foot long when in an appropriatly sized aquarium. Don't want you to be surprised when one day he has eaten everybody else.
yeah im currently starting a 20 gallon tank. just planted some moss and algae on the floor, in two weeks i will fill it up with water. then 2 weeks after that, add the fish.

If he does get to more than a few inches, I'll have to rehome him.

don't even know what plants I have tbh... I just took out a bunch of plant leaves and a few roots that were floating above the rocks. seems like pH is 7.4-7.6
Def take out the betta. Did u use any bacteria starters! Once thr cycle is complete you need to rehome the catfish and betta. The cat can grow big and the betta id not right on the scale. Needs lower ph and herdness. You need to know the right pabts to know correect requirements.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back