Need help

You don't need any great knowledge to grow real plants. Most of them you just stick in the gravel. Plants will help with your water parameters too as they use up nitrates.
Thank you for that information. I will look into them this weekend when I go to the fish store. Any suggestions on beginner plants?

I use to do just plastic too now only live plants. Anacharis, moneywort,java fern,water sprite,crested fern, African water fern are some good choices. The ferns you should attach to driftwood or stones,The rest you can "plant" or allow it to float.

Thank you for that information. I will look into them this weekend when I go to the fish store. Any suggestions on beginner plants?
60 gals sounds like a 4ft tank, so fairly big. Most plants will grow well in gravel. Stem plants only really need light to grow. Rooted plants take nutrients from the substrate mostly. I don't know what lighting you have but assuming its fairly moderate, any plants rated medium to low light plants shoud be fine. Amazon swords are cheap and can grow pretty big. Hygrophilla difforrmis is a stem plant that grows fairly quickly and can also get quite large, but really you need to have a look online there are hundreds of types of plants. Maybe check out youtube for easy/low tech/beginners plants and see what takes your fancy. Once you get them growing you can take cutting and replant them. With Stem plants this just means cutting the top off and sticking it in the gravel. This way you can fill your tank up more cheaply.

You don't need any great knowledge to grow real plants. Most of them you just stick in the gravel. Plants will help with your water parameters too as they use up nitrates.
I dont think one needs great knowledge but a basic understanding is helpful.
If it were as easy as just buying any aquatic plant in ones tank everybody would have champion level Amano tanks.
Just like fish if one chooses to do live plants do research beforehand.

I dont think one needs great knowledge but a basic understanding is helpful.
If it were as easy as just buying any aquatic plant in ones tank everybody would have champion level Amano tanks.
Just like fish if one chooses to do live plants do research beforehand.
I'm assuming you didn't read the next post I made. Nevertheless, most of the plants commonly available fall into that category.

I'm assuming you didn't read the next post I made. Nevertheless, most of the plants commonly available fall into that category.
Nope looks like was posting my response the same time you were posting yours
Either way even "easy" plants commonly available take a little more than just sticking them in your tank and hoping for the best.

About the only plant ive ever had that i can just throw in any body of fresh water and it will grow out of control is duck weed. The stuff as its name suggests is a weed and if it has water and a little light it will take over your life:(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back