Need Help With My Platy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KieranBoyne

Moved On
Reaction score
Hi guys, less happy news this time.... I think my platy may be dying..... He is a male platy called dude. He is really fat, only ever hangs out in the bottom of the tank unless its feeding time, then he's fine... He has clamped fins.... kinda just sits there. He did lose his colour ever so slightly but it's back now... also, he been a bit nippy recently. if anyone came near him, he'd chase them off and return to where he was. I have tried peas, didn't work, I tried fasting for 2 days didn't work... it's not dropsy, because he isn't pineconing... Help?
Any ideas?

Probably having teritorial problems, put in some more plants an try maybe live food. If it doesnt work try erm... changing 50% of the water. Might just be bad water chemistry...

How many gallons is the tank please?
How many fish and which type?
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph?
What do you feed the fish?
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet?
Is his anus enlarged or red and inflamed?

WILDER said:
How many gallons is the tank please?
How many fish and which type?
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph?
What do you feed the fish?
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet?
Is his anus enlarged or red and inflamed?
15 gallons

2 red phantom tetras
3 glowlight and neon tetras
3 harlequin rasboras
4 pearl danios
1 platy
1 small bn pleco
I will upgrade eventually by the way.

Ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 10, ph 7.2

It varies. Whatever is there I feed. I feed: Aquarian tropical flakes and freeze dried bloodworms normally, I didn't know that I was supposed to soak them first though... is that why?
My other food are tetra pro colour and pro energy and tetra tropical flakes.

I've never seen him poo that much, but when I do see, it looks like a whit/yellow/clear colour. Sometimes red aswell....

The anus area, well that looks like there is a gravid spot there. He is definitely male, he has the gonopodium. So, I don't know what it is.

Don't over feed freeze dried foods as they cause constipation, swim bladder problems.
Best really to buy frozen foods if you can. Especially daphnia as it's a good laxative for fish.
Also start introducing some green veg into there diet at least 3 times a week.
Do you feed any red foods?

What colour is the spot on the anus. Does it resemble a bubble?

Ok, i will try to get some frozen food for the tank. What green veg do you reccommend? Are peas a good idea? And the spot is black.

Green veg like lettuce, green cabbage, sprouts, spinach, broc, peas, cucumber.
Just blanch in boiling water for a few minutes.
With peas pop out of shell as fish can't digest the shell. There a laxative to like daphnia.

If there no improvement with the platys in a few days post back and we will try and find out
whats going on with him.
Keep any eye on all fish for when they go to the toilet.

Good Luck.

Ok so i fed him another pea or 2. Did a wc and he seems to have livened up a bit. Thank you!!
And my nitrite got higher the same day the platy got more active??? How weird is that?

Thanks for the update.
Do you mean nitrite, or nitrate got higher?

Don't worry. Everything is good now/ Nitrite 0, Nitrate <10, ammonia 0!!

But he has become a bit aggressive, if any fish swims near him he goes for them. Not viciously, just swims quickly at them. What does that mean?

Thanks for the update.
Platys can be mean now and them. Mine used to fall out. As long as there not hurting each other.

KieranBoyne said:
Don't worry. Everything is good now/ Nitrite 0, Nitrate <10, ammonia 0!!

But he has become a bit aggressive, if any fish swims near him he goes for them. Not viciously, just swims quickly at them. What does that mean?
If he was under the weather, he now may feel like he can contest territory again.

It's normal. As long as there not nipping. 
Glad to hear he's a lot better. Nice to hear some good news.

thanks for the help everybody!!! He has become less agrressive and is more lively. Still near the bottom though...

He's not resting for long periods on the bottom Leaning to one side?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back