Need help with my Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Will1986

Reaction score
Hi everyone, fairly new to keeping tropical fish and my Betta has recently been concerning, heā€™s been very still, hiding from the other fish a lot and just floating around near the filter, he was in a community tank with some runny noses and some mollies, one of the mollies has been beating him up it seems, I watched him come out from hiding and she hit him lots and he then went back to the filter, Iā€™ve now set him up a new tank on his own and out him in but he is still quite inactive, Iā€™m worried he could be Ill and wanted some
Help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 25
Iā€™m not too concerned that heā€™s hiding when placed in a new tank, but the close up photo looks like heā€™s a bit bloated with raised scales. If so, there may be no cure for it.

Regardless, Iā€™d make sure his tank is cycle with beneficial bacteria in it. Are the rocks taken from your community tank? Iā€™d take some rocks from community tank and place in his tank, and also some floating plants, if you have any.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

He doesnā€™t look sick but he could just be trying to hide still thinking he could get attacked. I would get some live floating plants and put the in there to help give him cover.

Most reactions

trending

Back