Need help with euthanizing betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joker39quacky

Reaction score
So I got back from a week-long trip about an hour ago, and I noticed my poor betta Jimmy was struggling to swim, and all of his fins have been eaten away at by what looks to be fungal infection. He's like a fishing bob, just floating there, unable to swim. I've looked all over to see if any clove oil is in stock near me, and it isn't. All I have with clove oil in it is API Pimafix, would it do the trick?

Fin rot is treatable, bettas can recover from incredibly bad conditions.
I would give it a try with aquarium salt and erythromicin.. Edit: CaptainBarnicles is right: I jumped to bacterial but could be fungus. Let's see the poor guy.

Last edited:
Post a photo of him, a video would be better. You'll have to upload it onto a platform like YouTube first, then copy and paste the link here.

Large water changes every couple of days for as long as it takes would be enough to stop fin rot...if it is fungus we can help you with next steps but let's have a look at the fish first. Don't medicate until you know what you're dealing with

Before you kill the fish for possibly no reason, do the following.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Post clear pictures of the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back