Need help with Cory disease and barbel loss.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Suffy1570

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I am new to fishkeeping (4 months). I have a 70 Litre tank with 4 Adult Platys, 2 Juvenile (raised in the tank), 3 Trilineatus Cory Catfish and 3 Assassin Snails. Over the last 2-3 weeks I have lost 2 Corys (originally had 5, now 3) and 2 platys to an unknown disease. Tank is fully cycled and I perform a 30% water change once a week, I have API Master Test Kit and consistently have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and between 10-20 nitrate. I have been treating the tank with Melafix and Pimafix as recommended to me by my local fish shop but am still concerned about the corys.

Neither of the platys that died had any visual symptom's however both started hiding behind plants or resting at the surface (not gasping for air and no rapid breathing) a few hours before they died. Both did not eat the day before they died and before that were acting perfectly normal.

Both Corys had different symptom's, the first one that died had turned a darker colour and starting swimming around in the mid water level and resting on plant leaves. The second cory also turned darker coloured but also seemed to have a swim bladder issue as he had a swollen stomach and twice I saw him floating upside down but would go back to acting normal within minutes.

Since starting Melafix and Pimafix only 1 of the fish died and the platys seem to be fine. However I am still concerned about the 3 remaining corys. 2 of the corys barbels have all but disappeared and since starting the medication have began to form a milky/cloudy appearance around their noses, the 3rd is looking ok but his barbels also seem to be getting shorter. All 3 are eating fine and behaving normally. I am not sure if the barbel issue is because of my gravel or a bacterial infection, my local fish shop told me the gravel is fine and have never had issues with corys on gravel but I have read online that they much prefer sand. I clean the gravel weekly with water change siphon and also a couple of times a week with an Eheim quick vac pro. I am considering trying a new medication and have read good things about Esha 2000.

I have added a picture of one of the corys with the cloudy nose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding type of disease/medication/changing to sand, Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 374
Cories often lose their barbels from bacterial infections. The culprit is likely the substrate. Cories are best kept on sand, rather than big chunky gravel. They snuff around in the sand with their barbels looking for food particles.

Playsand is very good for them though it needs to be rinsed thoroughly. Changing substrate can be trickier. There's likely a good bit of detritus and gunk in your gravel and removing it will kick it all up. I recommend temporary housing of the fish in a large bucket while you make the change.

Cories often lose their barbels from bacterial infections. The culprit is likely the substrate. Cories are best kept on sand, rather than big chunky gravel. They snuff around in the sand with their barbels looking for food particles.

Playsand is very good for them though it needs to be rinsed thoroughly. Changing substrate can be trickier. There's likely a good bit of detritus and gunk in your gravel and removing it will kick it all up. I recommend temporary housing of the fish in a large bucket while you make the change.

Thanks for the reply, I have read a lot about the best ways to change from gravel to sand so I should be ok doing that. Would you recommend using any medications?

I'm pretty sure their barbs get nipped off by other fish, I don't think substrate has anything to do with it.

Thanks for the reply, I have read a lot about the best ways to change from gravel to sand so I should be ok doing that. Would you recommend using any medications?

Medication by itself won't do anything if you don't deal with the root cause. There is food that falls down into the gravel crevices and they go after them, causing some scrapes and abrasions, and they are rooting around in an area of rotting food... bacteria are everywhere.

Once the substrate is cleared up, they could be treated with an anti-bacterial medication, but I can't recall if you want Gram + or Gram -... Hmm, I'll have to look that one up!

Actually, the best treatment might be some methylene blue baths... The methylene blue will stain the areas where there is no slime coat, but the good news is that it will protect against the infection getting worse and can increase oxygen available to that tissue.

I'd add that this should be done in a separate quarantine tank, rather than the main tank. The methylene blue is a STAIN and will stain whatever you use it in.

I'd be more inclined to change the substrate and just do regular water changes to ensure good water quality and they should grow back no problem.

I'd be more inclined to change the substrate and just do regular water changes to ensure good water quality and they should grow back no problem.

This is true. Crystal clean water is often the very best tonic for a lot of fish maladies. And if we keep the water/tank clean most maladies never show up. The fish's own immune system can handle the rest.

Thanks very much for everyones replies, Im going to change to sand early next week when I have a chance and will stop using melafix/pimafix and see how they get on.

This is true. Crystal clean water is often the very best tonic for a lot of fish maladies. And if we keep the water/tank clean most maladies never show up. The fish's own immune system can handle the rest.

I have never done a fish dip/bath before so any advice would be appreciated.

I have never done a fish dip/bath before so any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a great link: http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/07/fish-baths.html

FYI: CORIES AND SALT DON'T MIX WELL. So, I am not advocating that, just the water and methylene blue...

But, I'd try just the clean water first. Removing the fish from their tank can be stressful. Dips and baths are really for when the fish is in more dire need. But, as they describe in the link, there are some great benefits to it as well.

Here's a great link: http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/07/fish-baths.html

FYI: CORIES AND SALT DON'T MIX WELL. So, I am not advocating that, just the water and methylene blue...

But, I'd try just the clean water first. Removing the fish from their tank can be stressful. Dips and baths are really for when the fish is in more dire need. But, as they describe in the link, there are some great benefits to it as well.

Thanks so much for your help, I have stopped using melafix and pimafix. I will change to sand soon and monitor their progress and thanks for the heads up on the salt, I thought I had read salt baths were bad for corys and ill only use a bath if nothing improves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back