Need help with Chinese Algae Eater

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

triivk

Reaction score
I've posted here before but I'm really panicking. My Chinese Algae eater is currently in a 57lt tank as he's quite small. He has a filter, light, lots of hiding spots, food - etc. I noticed a lot 'debris' in the water and so I plan on trying to clean it all out. Just small particles of stuff. I notice he likes to just sit on the plastic back of the tank a lot and just.. suck. I looked recently and it looks like he's almost eaten through the plastic? Which shouldn't be possible. The temp is usually sitting at 23-24 Celsius.

I went to have a look, and I might have scared him as he swam super fast to the top of the tank, and back down, like he almost jumped out. He was breathing heavily afterward, and so I just stepped away from the tank and didn't disturb him again. He was just fine yesterday. I don't know what to do! My parents know nothing on fish and they bought him regardless a few years ago, so I'm trying to do all my research on my own but it's overwhelming. I feed him algae wafers frequently, and I know people say they can get aggressive as they get older if they don't get blood worms or something? I have bloodworms but he didn't like them the last time I tried them. I have absolutely no idea what to do. Do I need a stronger filter maybe? The filter I have came with the tank, but it doesn't seem very strong.

Any help would be appreciated a LOT.

Thats very strange! Chinese Algae eaters are known to eat the fish slime, but never plastic, I would just advise to take out all decorations and see if he does any better

Heavy Breathing, Wanting to Jump out, and not eating?(not sure about his diet) can be varied indicators that your fish is stressed, check your oxygen, ph and nitrate levels.

they are aggressive i think no matter what
maybe he is eating algae off plastic and the algae has built up so much

parameters?
how big like relative to something or like inches or centimeters is he?

they are aggressive i think no matter what
maybe he is eating algae off plastic and the algae has built up so much

parameters?
how big like relative to something or like inches or centimeters is he?
u def right there, however, jumping out will always be signs of stress

Heavy Breathing, Wanting to Jump out, and not eating?(not sure about his diet) can be varied indicators that your fish is stressed, check your oxygen, ph and nitrate levels.
He definitely eats, just not anything other than his wafers. He seems to be more calm now. I did a test strip, GH is 30ppm, KH is 40ppm, PH is 7 and no nitrite, 30ishppm nitrate. I don't know what that means lol. Temp is sitting at 24 Celsius nearly always.

I did a test strip, GH is 30ppm, KH is 40ppm, PH is 7 and no nitrite, 30ishppm nitrate. I don't know what that means lol.
It means you have soft water, no nitrite is good (it should be zero), but nitrate is a bit high - that should really be under 20 ppm. What is the nitrate level in your tap water? If your tap water is a lot lower, the nitrate is being made in the tank and indicates you need to do more water changes.

This profile of Chinese algae eaters has a section on diet - you could try some of the food it suggests.

It means you have soft water, no nitrite is good (it should be zero), but nitrate is a bit high - that should really be under 20 ppm. What is the nitrate level in your tap water? If your tap water is a lot lower, the nitrate is being made in the tank and indicates you need to do more water changes.

This profile of Chinese algae eaters has a section on diet - you could try some of the food it suggests.
yep, some creatures are picky, one of my snails dosent like zucchini (idk how to spell that )

Most reactions

trending

Back