Need help with betta!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Sushiiii

Reaction score
Hi! I have a betta fish named Finley, Iā€™ve had him for two years and honestly, I had no idea what I was doing at first, but now I have educated myself more on bettas proper care. I had my Betta in a 10 gallon and he was doing well for months and I noticed his right pectoral fin was almost gone so I got a smaller tank temporarily to treat him for fin rot. He got better and then I completely cleaned out the 10 gallon and when I put him back in he seemed like he got worse. I think I didnā€™t properly cycle the tank. I noticed him getting worse and decided to buy a 5 gallon tank instead, and he did really well for a few days and then suddenly he started swimming vertically, mouth up towards the top and his caudal fin towards the bottom and he would just float around like that. Now he is laying at the bottom of the tank completely on his side. I will do anything to help him so I need a response asap

update: Finley has sadly passed away, I myself will now be crying for hours. Thank you for trying

Last edited:
Yes of course, he has everything he needs.
Good. Whatever happens it sounds like you are doing your best! Where did you purchase him from? Petco and Petsmart sell their bettas as adults, so there is no way to tell how old they are at the point you purchase them, and if you have had him 2 years already it could potentially be age related health issues. If the tank was not fully cycled, daily 50% water changes could help. Since you've had him two years I would assume you know to dechlorinate the water. I hope he does alright!! (also, Welcome to the forum!)

Good. Whatever happens it sounds like you are doing your best! Where did you purchase him from? Petco and Petsmart sell their bettas as adults, so there is no way to tell how old they are at the point you purchase them, and if you have had him 2 years already it could potentially be age related health issues. If the tank was not fully cycled, daily 50% water changes could help. Since you've had him two years I would assume you know to dechlorinate the water. I hope he does alright!! (also, Welcome to the forum!)
Yeah I got him from pet smart, I was thinking the same about health issues, heā€™s never had problems but suddenly he got fin rot and now this. I was thinking maybe it was a swim bladder problem because every time I looked up his symptoms it said swim bladder disease. Do you think I should just leave him and see how he gets?

Yeah I got him from pet smart, I was thinking the same about health issues, heā€™s never had problems but suddenly he got fin rot and now this. I was thinking maybe it was a swim bladder problem because every time I looked up his symptoms it said swim bladder disease. Do you think I should just leave him and see how he gets?
Fin rot can be caused by water quality issues. Stress can also make fish more susceptible to disease and infection. Stress can also be caused by water quality issues. Swim bladder ALSO can be caused by stress. I am not very experienced with disease, but I would say your best bet would be too keep him in where He is now, make sure he has lots of places to hide (Live plants are really great!) and keep his water clean. I would do 50% daily water changes.

Fin rot can be caused by water quality issues. Stress can also make fish more susceptible to disease and infection. Stress can also be caused by water quality issues. Swim bladder ALSO can be caused by stress. I am not very experienced with disease, but I would say your best bet would be too keep him in where He is now, make sure he has lots of places to hide (Live plants are really great!) and keep his water clean. I would do 50% daily water changes.
Yeah I noticed the fin rot and treated him for it and his fins are very ragged now but I have seem some growth with them, I caught it a little too late. Maybe he got stressed when I put him in the new tank? Itā€™s stressing me out to see him like this. I do have live plants in the tank and Iā€™ll do daily water changes :)

Yeah I noticed the fin rot and treated him for it and his fins are very ragged now but I have seem some growth with them, I caught it a little too late. Maybe he got stressed when I put him in the new tank? Itā€™s stressing me out to see him like this. I do have live plants in the tank and Iā€™ll do daily water changes :)
It sounds like you are doing great! Yes, moving him may have stressed Him. If he is just getting old, keeping Him comfortable is the best you can do for him.

It sounds like you are doing great! Yes, moving him may have stressed Him. If he is just getting old, keeping Him comfortable is the best you can do for him.
I appreciate everything youā€™ve done to try and help, but I came home from work to see that he has passed away :(

Most reactions

trending

Back