need help with bad moss

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Moony42

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
hey tropical fishforums! need help with my 9 inches 2.5 gallon tank. it holds three albino tetras,one betta,and a bunch of snails that have laid eggs that have hatched. they are trying to eat the bad moss but fail as it is too hard. please help immediately.i don't want my fish to die!!!!

You should a pleco are a algae scrub because Plecos eat algae and algae scrub is a manual scrub used to remove algae from the glass

And also don’t turn on your light to often because moss/algae is caused by light

There are absolutely no plecs suitable for a 2.5 gallon tank.

It is also too small for anything but the betta, the tetras need a much bigger tank, and a bigger group of them.

The best thing you can do is to keep the betta but rehome the tetras. Then feed the betta lightly - uneaten fish food and lots of fish poo will only feed the snails so they multiply faster.
If there are no live plants other than the moss/algae, keep the light on for only a few hours. I assume that you mean algae when you say 'bad moss'. Try scraping it off the tank walls, decor etc. Then with the light on for only a short time, fewer fish and less fish food, it should not grow back as badly - and the snails should stop multiplying as fast.

NO YOU GOT IT WRONG. I HAVE A TEN GALLON TANK WITH PLANTS AND RAMSHORN SNAILS,BOWHEAD SNAILS AND TWO UNKNOWN ORIGIN SNAILS. THEY REPRODUCE EXTREMELY QUICKLY. TETRAS ARE MUCH QUICKER THAN BETTA AND THEREFORE BETTA HAS ADAPTED TO THEM
BEING AROUND. BUT FOR SOME REASON THE ALGAE KILLS THE PLANTS AND CAUSES THEM TO GET UPROOTED

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Can you post a picture of the algae/ moss?

Fish won't die because there is algae in the tank. Algae is simply a plant that grows anywhere there is light and water. The problem with algae in aquariums is it can cover the plant leaves and the plants die.

First you said
need help with my 9 inches 2.5 gallon tank.

then you said
NO YOU GOT IT WRONG. I HAVE A TEN GALLON TANK

Can you tell us exactly how big this tank is, 2.5 gallons or 10 gallons?

10 gallons is still too small for most tetras which need a tank at least 24 inches long and a group of at least 6.

the tank Is 10 gallons. sorry my bad for saying 2.5 gallons

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back