Need help with Amazon Sword propagation. Pls respond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Caden Fisher

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all. I currently have a fully established 20 gallon tank with an Amazon sword. A little while ago, it started making runners. They now have little plants on them with 1 inch leaves and multiple inch roots. I recently got a new 29 gallon tank and would like to put the baby plants in it. I need tips on how to propagate and acclimate them to the new tank that will be about ten degrees warmer (80 ish) Thanks in advance!

Set the new tank up and get the water so it is the same temperature and chemistry (pH, GH & KH) to the sword plant tank. Then move the plant across.

If the mother plant is in the substrate, gently touch the baby plants and see if they come off. If they do you can move the babies into the new tank. If they don't come off easily, then leave them alone for another month or two. When the baby plants are old enough, they come away from the runner quite easily.

You can put the baby plants into pots while they are attached to the runner. Then leave them for a month or more attached to the mother plant. The babies will send their roots into the substrate in the pot and when they have leaves about 4 inches long, you can cut the runner and move the pot with plant in it.

O
Set the new tank up and get the water so it is the same temperature and chemistry (pH, GH & KH) to the sword plant tank. Then move the plant across.

If the mother plant is in the substrate, gently touch the baby plants and see if they come off. If they do you can move the babies into the new tank. If they don't come off easily, then leave them alone for another month or two. When the baby plants are old enough, they come away from the runner quite easily.

You can put the baby plants into pots while they are attached to the runner. Then leave them for a month or more attached to the mother plant. The babies will send their roots into the substrate in the pot and when they have leaves about 4 inches long, you can cut the runner and move the pot with plant in it.
Ok thanks! I’ll try it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back