Need Help Identifying My Frog

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Easy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Need a bit of help. My daughter caught a frog/toad while on a camping trip to Lake Camanche. It is located in Calaveras County California. The frog was in a small hole in the dock we were fishing on. He came out and we kept him. He is only about 1 inch. I think it's a baby. The only other frogs I have seen at this lake only come out at night on land around the camp sites some evenings. They are BIG, don't seem to make much noise or at least I never noticed them. He is a light brown/gray/green color with a few black stripes. It's hard to tell because when he gets wet the color darkens. Definitely more of an earthy tone though for sure. Don't really see any bumps but then again he is tiny so maybe his bumps are tiny. I didn't plan on having a frog so he is currently in a plastic bottle with some lake water rocks and sticks so he can get out of the water. I just got home yesterday so I am trying too get him a proper habitat ASAP but I need to identify first. I did however run down to Petco and picked up some crickets. Put a small one in and BAM! The frog ate him. So I got a day or two to get him a proper habitat. Help. Anybody familiar with the species in this area ??? I am getting my camera out now to take a pic. Its just hard because he won't sit still if I take him out and it's too hard to see him through the bottle. Help!

frog1.jpg
frog2.jpg

Does he make noise? Maybe a spring peeper, ill have a look in a book i have.

Does he make noise? Maybe a spring peeper, ill have a look in a book i have.
not making noise any noise as of yet. I THINK, it maybe a tree frog. The toes seem to have enlarged toe tips(hard to tell)as well as the stripe through the eyes. I been looking online and the closest thing i could come up with was 3 different species of tree frog that all can be found in this area: Baja California Tree Frog, Northern Pacific Tree frog, Sierran Tree frog. All 3 have 2 different color variations. Basically each one has a green and a brown color variation. Mine looks closest to the Baja California Tree frog with the brown color variation but im still not sure. Here is the website im looking at: www.californiaherps.com/frogs/frogspics.html

He is definately a tree frog. I checked out that site, and it is a Baja California frog. Even though you want to keep it as a pet, it may be best to release it. Wild caught tree frogs can be skittish and may have parasites. If you want a pet tree frog, Whites Tree Frog is a geat one. They love to be handled.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back