Need help identifying a couple plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Weiro792

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone, haven't been on here in a while but I'm trying to figure out what these two plants are, the one on the left I believe is some type of sword, the one in the middle is almost like a long leaf rotala, but I can't nail them down. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1225a.jpg
    IMG_1225a.jpg
    936.5 KB · Views: 285
The left plant is a sword [Echinodorus sp.], perhaps Echinodorus paniculatus. I had three lovely plants back in the 1990's, and only last year I found a similar-looking plant without a name in a Mr. Pets of all places, which may be this species but has so far not done very well.

If the petiole is triangular in cross section, it is E.paniculatus.

Rataj (1968) described a very similar (in appearance) species, E. lanceolatus. He said it was not in cultivation, and only one plant was examined, having been collected in SE Brazil. In his phylogenetic analysis of the genus, Lehtonen (2008) noted that collections of this "species" are very rare, and no molecular data was available, so the status of the "species" remains unknown.

I have Lehtonen's paper, there is no illustration of the above species, but I can send you the text if that may help. The stem plant I won't guess.

Byron.

Thank you! I will take a look at the cross section when I get home. There are a couple leaves that can be pruned due to them being older. Thanks for advice! If you wouldn't mind sending the text along that'd be great! I'll pm you with my email.

Thank you! I will take a look at the cross section when I get home. There are a couple leaves that can be pruned due to them being older. Thanks for advice! If you wouldn't mind sending the text along that'd be great! I'll pm you with my email.

I will send the paper momentarily. If you feel the petiole, you can easily discern if it is triangular or round, without cutting off a leaf, but if one needs trimming, go for it.

I think the stem plant is hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia', I've had this in my tanks it is an easy plant to keep and fast growing requiring regular trimming which can then be used to propagate new plants as they root very easily when replanted back into the substrate.

I think the stem plant is hygrophila corymbosa 'angustifolia', I've had this in my tanks it is an easy plant to keep and fast growing requiring regular trimming which can then be used to propagate new plants as they root very easily when replanted back into the substrate.
I think that's Right! The worker at the LFS told me the name of it and I should have written it down. But that definately rings a bell and looks exactly like it when I google it! Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back