NEED help fish tank cloudy for the last 2 weeks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kglazer

Reaction score
I have a 55 gallon fish tank that is over 9 months old with 6 gouramis, 2 Bala sharks,4 red barbs and 5 zebra danios

over the last 3 weeks my water has been a milky/ cloudy/ hazy look.

I have tried multiple water changes, changed filter cartridges, added carbon pads, UV sterilizer and cleaning substrate and rocks. it does not seem to get better
I have checked parameters nitrates and nitrites are around 5ppm and ph is around 7-7.5
I have attached pictures of the tank. Anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss of how to clear up my tank!

Attachments

• tempImageFgwqVZ.png
    tempImageFgwqVZ.png
    955.6 KB · Views: 38
  • tempImageVpYxZF.png
    tempImageVpYxZF.png
    950.8 KB · Views: 34
  • tempImage10JMt6.png
    tempImage10JMt6.png
    919.2 KB · Views: 32
  • tempImagejiOBvD.png
    tempImagejiOBvD.png
    1 MB · Views: 35
Hello, I’m not sure about the cloudiness, but your nitrites need to be at 0. Also what is your Ammonia reading?
Bacterial bloom is often mentioned on here but others with more knowledge and answers will be along soon.

Hi pal, lm new to. Is your filter big enough. My tank did that change to a larger filter, put in large spung filter water crystal clear. You could put in 2 bristle noise plecs, put in loads of plants. What type of lighting do you have, how long is it on all help alge growth. Don't mess with filter to much it can upset the tank cycle. What's your phosphate level. Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get better advice from other members. Good luck.

This looks like a bacteria bloom in the water column. The bacteria are feeding on ammonia and nitrite in your water. It should go away once the tank mature and you get your nitrites down to 0. Regular large water changes should alleviate the problem for the time being.

Do not replace your filter media. This will just make the bloom worse. Do not clean your filter media, this will harm the beneficial bacteria in the filter, which are working to break down the wastes in your water (you can rinse the filter media, but be sure to do this in dechlorinated water). Do not clean your substrate or rocks either. Carbon is mostly useless, but it is useful for removing fish medications from the water. I don't really recommend using it most of the time.

You need the biological systems in your aquarium to mature. This means don't mess around the filter or substrate. Do large water changes regularly (50-70%) and wait it out.

Overfeeding or poor maintenance (not enough water changes) can be a cause of a bacterial bloom like this.

Nitrite is toxic for fish, you might lose some fish.

FYI Bala sharks get huge (like a foot long) and they need to be maintained in groups (6+) to be happy. I would recommend returning them.

Many fish like cover and your tank is very empty. I would recommend getting more decorations. Your fish will appreciate it. I personally like live plants, rocks and wood, but you can get whatever you want as long as it provides cover for the fish.

Thanks guys. So should I just do water changes like every other day and how much water should I change?

My ammonia levels are around 0.7. I have a top fin 75gallon filter so I believe the filter should be good. I will remove the carbon since it doesn’t really help.

Anything I can do to make the cycle mature faster?

I usually do 50-70% water changes. Every other day sounds good. Seachem Stability might help the cycle go faster?

Large water change, 75% or more, with a good quality water conditioner, such as Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water Conditioner.

As already mentioned, do not mess with your filter media or clean it in tap water...rinse in old tank water only.

What kind of test kit are you using?

Bacterial bloom isn't common-place with established tanks, and is usually seen with recently set up tanks. Bacterial blooms that occur in mature tanks tend to be linked to high ammonia in the water, which seems to be the problem with your tank.

How often do you do water changes, and roughly what percentage of the water do you change?

With no offense intended, you really should have live plants in that tank. Fast growing plants such as elodea/anacharis, amazon swords and hornwort will be good for your tank. Essentially, they act as a sponge and leach ammonia from the water. Live plants don't substitute water changes and filter maintenance, of course, but they do help. Not only this, but the fish will thank you for it. In a tank with few "decorations" such as caves, large stones, and similar places that they can seek refuge, plants will provide them with safety and make them feel more comfortable in your tank.

If you can afford it, get a canister/external filter for your tank. They're easier to manage and clean (in my experience), and aren't (usually) built in a way that pedals extra products to you. With many internal/HOB filters, the pads are often flimsy and built to withstand minimal amounts of cleaning before they decay. For a tank of that size, canister filters are typically the best way to go. I could go on, but it isn't the main point of the thread.

Last edited:
Bacterial bloom isn't common-place with established tanks, and is usually seen with recently set up tanks. Bacterial blooms that occurring in mature tanks tend to be linked to high ammonia in the water, which seems to be the problem with your tank.

How often do you do water changes, and roughly what percentage of the water do you change?

With no offense intended, you really should have live plants in that tank. Fast growing plants such as elodea/anacharis, amazon swords and hornwort will be good for your tank. Essentially, they act as a sponge and leach ammonia from the water. Live plants don't substitute water changes and filter maintenance, of course, but they do help. Not only this, but the fish will thank you for it. In a tank with few "decorations" such as caves, large stones, and similar places that they can seek refuge, plants will provide them with safety and make them feel more comfortable in your tank.

If you can afford it, get a canister/external filter for your tank. They're easier to manage and clean (in my experience), and aren't (usually) built in a way that pedals extra products to you. With many internal/HOB filters, the pads are often flimsy and built to withstand minimal amounts of cleaning before they decay. For a tank of that size, canister filters are typically the best way to go. I could go on, but it isn't the main point of the thread.
I do water changes monthly and replace about 15 gallons this has never happened before until now. It’s very strange and out of the blue. The tank is normally crystal clear(like these photos)

Attachments

• EC814DBC-FA2E-4173-B3A9-FFD18F394898.jpeg
    EC814DBC-FA2E-4173-B3A9-FFD18F394898.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2A852E09-EFC3-4FAD-9E98-5E058270805A.jpeg
    2A852E09-EFC3-4FAD-9E98-5E058270805A.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 31
Large water change, 75% or more, with a good quality water conditioner, such as Seachem Prime, or API Tap Water Conditioner.

As already mentioned, do not mess with your filter media or clean it in tap water...rinse in old tank water only.

What kind of test kit are you using?
Ok I will do a 75% water change later today I will leave the filter media alone.

I am using api 5 in 1 test strips

I would suggest doing 15 gallons per week rather than monthly. Water changes within around 30-50% are recommended by most fishkeepers with a tank of this size.

Ammonia spikes can be a result of an unknown (or untreated - as in, left in your tank to rot) fish death(s); overfeeding leading to excess food-particulate; unchecked fish waste; a filter blockage or unclean filter; or overstocking - which doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Ok I will do a 75% water change later today I will leave the filter media alone.

I am using api 5 in 1 test strips
Get the liquid API Freshwater Master Test Kit...the strips can be inaccurate & unreliable, especially if aged

Ok I will order it on Amazon.

This is after the 75% water change

Attachments

• DE7FEAB7-F1AC-4C04-84A3-E3BA8747A6FE.jpeg
    DE7FEAB7-F1AC-4C04-84A3-E3BA8747A6FE.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 31
24 hrs later and still clear from the last water change

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 22
This might sound crazy, but do a water test on the water you are using to change. If your water district made changes in their treatment process resulting in more ammonia and nitrites at the tap it could be the source of the bacterial bloom and compounding the problem with each water change.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back