Need help finding fish for sale

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bob by the lake

Reaction score
We live just west of rockford illinois and are having a hard time finding fish for sale, petsmart and petco have a very small and not healthy selection. All the old stores from the past are now closed. We are setting up our old 75 gallon and want to get some angelfish. Are there any breeders in the area? Does anyone know? Thanks for your help!

I would contact (and join) an aquarium club and see what they can do to help. I realize Peoria is about two hours south, but it could definitely be worth the drive or at least a call or inquiry.
Another possibility is a 'mom and pop' pet shop somewhere in the Chicago area. No idea where, but I bet there a few if you look or ask around. Good luck!

Rockford is a little far from me, but there are many stores in my area, one of which is Fish Planet located in Deerfield.
They have a great selection of fish and usually an assortment of angels. The owner is Steve and he is great at getting special order fish if you let him know what you need/are looking for. You can find them on Facebook,

https://m.facebook.com/FishPlanetStore/

There are a couple stores right over the border in WI. You probably want to call before you go. I don't go to these two as often as Fish Planet.

Aquatics Unlimited

The Fish Factory

There is also these stores in IL

Animal Island in Midlothian http://www.animalislandpets.com/

Birds and Beasts in Crystal Lake

Trop Aquatics in Lombard

There is also a larger fish store that isn't a Mom-Pop store. It's located in Schaumburg or Bolingbrook and called Aquarium Adventures.

I was going to recommend Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie but was sadly surprised to see they closed. I knew they were selling, but I guess it fell through. It was a great shop with a ton of fresh and saltwater fish, plants and supplies at good prices.

Lol, I have kept fish for over 20 years and try to visit the local and not so local stores when I can. Hope this helps somewhat, I realize many of these are a considerable drive from Rockford. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi & welcome to our forum... :hi:
Well, if there isn't that much choice in your area to work with, try something online...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back