need help decorating tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

drpenquin

Reaction score
iā€™ve recently upgraded my tank to a 5 gal but the problem is that im not good at aquascaping. :( I decorated my new tank just recently and I think its pretty okay for me but i need honest opinions about it and please tell me what i can do to make it look better. thanks! (ps donā€™t mind the hide ontop of the squidward looking house. will remove it soon because i believe my betta wont fit. I will also add floating plants ontop since my light is pretty harsh for a betta)

Attachments

• 2E5703DD-CFEF-479A-A568-F99CB804FE41.jpeg
    2E5703DD-CFEF-479A-A568-F99CB804FE41.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 43
Bettas like hides that are in the top to middle sections of the tank because that is where they reside. They only go to the bottom if that is their only choice (pretty uncomfortable for them though).

Your tank looks really nice, but I would recommend getting tall plants to put in the back and middle floor sections for the betta to go into. Some driftwood would look nice in there as well!
Just out of curiosity, what type of rocks are those? Some rocks can leach minerals into the water causing a rise in the GH (general hardness) of the water, which would not be good for a softwater betta. I would get a GH/KH API test kit to test your tap water and then your tank water with to see if the rocks are causing shifts in the readings...

I would get rid of the rocks and put more live plants in. And get a Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) plant for the Betta to hang out in. If you get too many of them, you can plant them in the gravel.

Just out of curiosity, what type of rocks are those?
Looks like a normal, inert aquascaping rock I've seen a lot of scapers use
81hFeeL5PbL._AC_SX425_.jpg

If she bought it from a normal fish store, very unlikely to be a problem.
Some rocks can leach minerals into the water causing a rise in the GH (general hardness) of the water, which would not be good for a softwater betta. I would get a GH/KH API test kit to test your tap water and then your tank water with to see if the rocks are causing shifts in the readings...

Those GH and KH kits are expensive. There's no need for everyone to have it unless there's a problem or they're having to mix water to adjust (as I do with one tank to make it softer) often. If there's a question and the numbers are needed, most fish stores will test it for you for free, just take a sample from the source water and a sample from the tank water into the store, and note the numbers. A complete waste of money buying a testing kit just to test two samples, then it just sits in the cupboard unused and expiring.

Especially not worth ordering a pricy kit for a beginner to test GH etc based on aquarium rocks when there's no indication that they're causing a problem.

View attachment 161972

Those GH and KH tips are expensive. There's no need for everyone to have it unless there's a problem or they're having to mix water to adjust (as I do with one tank to make it softer) often. If there's a question and the numbers are needed, most fish stores will test it for you for free, just take a sample from the source water and a sample from the tank water into the store, and note the numbers.

Especially not worth ordering a pricy kit for a beginner to test GH etc based on aquarium rocks when there's no indication that they're causing a problem.
True. I've never seen those rocks, that's why I mentioned it

True. I've never seen those rocks, that's why I mentioned it
It's fine to ask about what the rocks are/where she bought them, but predicting that they must be causing a problem and recommending buying a kit most people will never need is a bit too far.

It's fine to ask about what the rocks are/where she bought them, but predicting that they must be causing a problem and recommending buying a kit most people will never need is a bit too far.
I said they MAY be and it would be worth looking into IF they DID NOT know what the rocks were and if they were inert or not...

Bettas like hides that are in the top to middle sections of the tank because that is where they reside. They only go to the bottom if that is their only choice (pretty uncomfortable for them though).

Your tank looks really nice, but I would recommend getting tall plants to put in the back and middle floor sections for the betta to go into. Some driftwood would look nice in there as well!
Just out of curiosity, what type of rocks are those? Some rocks can leach minerals into the water causing a rise in the GH (general hardness) of the water, which would not be good for a softwater betta. I would get a GH/KH API test kit to test your tap water and then your tank water with to see if the rocks are causing shifts in the readings...
hi, got it! iā€™ll find some different hides. the rocks i use are seiryu stones! my test kit is on the way still and for now, i decided to drain my aquarium since i placed my plants on quarantine again since i found unwanted bladder snails so i might not be able to test the water right away, but i will soon. thanks for the help!

I think it looks great. I would add a piece of driftwood and maybe a couple more plants in the back and some floating plants. I would remove the whole squidward looking house because I think that makes it look less natural and distracts.
ok, got it! i do have more plants on the way as well ans driftwood and i did remove the squidward house. ty!

View attachment 161972

Those GH and KH kits are expensive. There's no need for everyone to have it unless there's a problem or they're having to mix water to adjust (as I do with one tank to make it softer) often. If there's a question and the numbers are needed, most fish stores will test it for you for free, just take a sample from the source water and a sample from the tank water into the store, and note the numbers. A complete waste of money buying a testing kit just to test two samples, then it just sits in the cupboard unused and expiring.

hi! thanks for the concern but no worries! i decided to work hard and earn some money so that i can provide a good habitat for my fish. I didnā€™t know about fish stores testing the water for free but I will go and ask tomorrow. Thank you for mentioning it.šŸ˜

ok, got it! i do have more plants on the way as well ans driftwood and i did remove the squidward house. ty!
oohsha this is embarrassing but please scratch driftwood away from the listšŸ„² i tried to look at my local pet store but all they have is that sharp tweeky wood and when i checked online, they werenā€™t as budget friendly as i expected them to be. sorry! only plants will be coming šŸ„² hopefully it makes the tank pretty though!

Thats great! I'd be a bit careful with seiryu stones as they are not inert and can make the water's GH rise
hi, got it! iā€™ll find some different hides. the rocks i use are seiryu stones! my test kit is on the way still and for now, i decided to drain my aquarium since i placed my plants on quarantine again since i found unwanted bladder snails so i might not be able to test the water right away, but i will soon. thanks for the help!

oohsha this is embarrassing but please scratch driftwood away from the listšŸ„² i tried to look at my local pet store but all they have is that sharp tweeky wood and when i checked online, they werenā€™t as budget friendly as i expected them to be. sorry! only plants will be coming šŸ„² hopefully it makes the tank pretty though!
It's a bit tougher, but you can find your own drift wood and there are ways to make sure you aren't introducing any parasites or issues. I haven't done it, but I know people who have collected their own driftwood for free successfully.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back