need help controlling temp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mr_br0kn_drmz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i need help keeping the temp of a 29 gal us, fresh water. the temp is now at around the mid to high 80s. is it possible to lower the temp without a chiller, if not then what chiller would you recommend.

I dont think that it is possible to lower the temperature and keep it at a constant level without a chiller.

P.T.

you can lower the temp by putting in bottles of ice in the tank, :D
but to sustain a lower temp you do need a chiller. :/

If you have money to burn, you can always buy an aquarium chiller... the cheapest would cost you ~ $300.

I couldn't afford to buy a Chiller.... so, I bought an Aquatek Aquarium Cooling Fan from Aqua eWorld on eBay. This fan has been a BLESSING to my tank during the hot summer months!! Even though i have a canope, the air flow from the fan drives out the hot air accumulated inside. The little clips on the fan snaps onto the aquarium wall very easily.

It dropped the temperature of my tank in hours and saved me $300!!! (and save energy cost too!)

you can give it a try. Good Luck!

Well I have an adjustable heater for my tank and that regulates temp, if it gets too high, it'll bring the water back down and vice versa.

Well I have an adjustable heater for my tank and that regulates temp, if it gets too high, it'll bring the water back down and vice versa.

Do you mean you have a chiller/heater which controlls the temperature? I have never heard of a heater that brings the temperature down, only one that switches off when the temp is too high (like a normal heater).

Do you mean you have a chiller/heater which controlls the temperature? I have never heard of a heater that brings the temperature down, only one that switches off when the temp is too high (like a normal heater).
It cools and heats. I think.

It cools and heats. I think.
If it didn't cost several hundred $ or £, it probably doesn't cool.

Chillers are expensive.

If you don't have the cash for one, I find the little clip fans to be very useful for keeping the temp in a reasonable range. You'll need to top up the water almost daily though, due to evaporation.

Rotating frozen water bottles in and out can help too, but is very labor intensive and inconsistent. It's good in an emergency where the water is getting dangerously warm though.

Well if you are going to use a fan, which I used it has its consequences. A fan could drop the temperature by 10 degrees F in a day. This happen to me and killed two of my fishes. A drop of more than 2 degrees F within a 24 hour period can cause a shock to your fishes immune system which can cause them to loose their slime coating. Therefor they have no defense for deseises. :sad:

The easiest way avoid over cooling your tank with an aquarium fan is to link the cooling fan and your lighting system to a timer. This way, the fan would only turn on when the lights are generating heat (which is probably the primary source of excess heat).

I have a 40g tank and uses the 4 fan model, the fan dropped my tank temperature by 5 degrees, from 84 to 79!

Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back