(Need Help) Betta Fish still bloated after 3 days of fasting and daily Epsom salt baths.

If the fish has been fat for a month or more and the scales are not sticking out, and the fish is still eating and doing normal coloured poop, then it's unlikely to be dropsey or an internal infection.

If the swollen belly occured overnight or within a 24 hour period (eg: the fish was slim one day but fat the next), that is fluid build up or an infection.

Tumours take weeks or months to grow and cause the fish to change shape.

Cysts can grow rapidly (a few days to a week) but normally take a few weeks to a month to cause that sort of shape.

------------------------
Anti-biotics haven't improved the situation so don't bother with anymore of them.

You could try leaving epsom salts in his tank for 12-24 hours and then doing a complete water change.

You could try feeding him every day with frozen or live foods and see if that helps. If he has a blockage in his intestine, the food might help push things through. You can use brineshrimp, daphnia and mushed up boiled peas with the skin.

If it doesn't improve and he stops eating, then I would euthanise him. But try more food and see if it helps.
For the espom salt for 12-24 hours, how much should I add? I have him in a 3 gallon currently, so I'm assuming it should be less since it's not a bath? Also it seems like his condition has turned as of today, though yesterday he was fine. He's laying on the bottom just flapping his fins, and it seems like he's no longer interested in food as I just tried feeding him some freezed dried daphina. I been fasting him for 3 days now (I fed on the 27th).
Also it appears that he does sometimes swim up to the surface, but it looks like he's struggling a bit. I moved him into a cup that floats near the surface for now so it's easier for him.

I must concur with our colleague @GaryE . The sad fact remains that with all our best efforts and concern a fish succumbs to its fate just often enough to bring us a little pain. That's a good thing though. The best aquarists are those with that compassion for their fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back