Need Help Asap!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So my male and female Kribs have had probably 5 batches of fry now. I just came home from college for the weekend and noticed my female hiding under a log, while the male guarded the 40ish week old Krib fry. I thought this was strange as I always see the male and female guard the new fry.

Anyways, the female is healthy, so no issues there.

The thing is (why she is hiding under a log and loosing her color) every time she comes out of hiding, the male immediately chases her down like she is intruding! And I mean, chases the crap out of her! All over the tank until she finds a hiding place.

Why is this happening? After countless batches of fry and no aggression in the past; why is the male acting like this? I know if I do not get this resolved soon, that the female will be killed from the stress!

PLEASE help, please! I do not want to loose my breading female Krib!

Thanks!
-FHM

I guess its just because they breed and the male wants to take care of the fry himself, like almost every other fish does, so i would seperate them for a while.

I had exactly the same happen with my kribs, the male chased the female off as soon as the fry hatched, they were in a 300l tank and I thought she would be ok as there is loads of places to hide, but she kept trying to get back to the fry and he did kill her. I would remove the female if you can. My male managed to raise the fry on his own.

This is so dumb! This is like their 5th batch of fry and this has never happened! argh!

What do you guys think about putting the male in a breeder net for a while and allow the female to get re-acquainted with the fry?

-FHM

I just put the male in a breeders net. He was very easy to catch since he did not swim away because he was trying to guard the fry.

And some of the babies have managed to find the female hiding under the log. She immediately got her color back and hopefully throughout the day she will venture out and herd the fry around like she usually does.

In the past when I have observed the parenting behaviors of Kribensis, it is about 80% of the time that the female is guarding the fry, while the male is elsewhere in the tank. So this is why I would rather have the female raise the fry instead of the male. Although the male would do just fine; I feel bad for the female be shut out from her own fry!

In a week the fry will be in another tank, so this will eliminate the protective fry instincts from the parents, and hopefully the two parents will pair back up?

I really hope so, as I have never witnessed this happening before?

-FHM

Maybe a good thing like you have done to seperate the two but leave both with some fry to tend to each. Be interesting to see what happens once the fry are all moved out and the two are back together. Suppose they'll calm down though will they?

I am sure once the fry are gone, the two will re-unite. Although, just watching them today makes me wonder if the male is back to his original self. I may try to take him out of the net and see what he does. If he chases her around again... he will go right back in the net. :D

-FHM

Kribs can be stupid, as I am sure you've found out. Sometimes the male, or the female feels the need to take over the care of the fry, and scare the other one off. You could just try again and see if they stay together, but aggression is something I would definatley look out for.

The male is back in the net...lol

Once I take the fry out, I am going to put the male back in with the female and hope for the best.

-FHM

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back