FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFriends123

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to help diagnose this glow light tetra? (I’m very new to this). Thanks so much in advance!

80601FB7-B1A6-46E9-B441-81E45A03801D.jpeg

Could you give us a bit more information, please:

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
GH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Looks like a fungal infection. Do you have a water test kit to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I am seeing some white spots, possibly ich but a better picture would help along with more information please.

Could you give us a bit more information, please:

Tank size: 5.5 gallons (With filter)

pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, kH, GH are unfortunately unknown right now.

tank temp: Currently 78°

Fish Symptoms: the fish seems to be eating well, but is not swimming as much and seems to be swimming closer to the bottom of the tank. The colour of its gills is a brighter red, and the growths around it’s gills are a white/yellow colour. It also has a few white spots on its body.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: This is a fairly new tank, so the water has yet to be changed. A change will probably occur today as the tank is due for one.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
The only chemicals and additives in the tank are Nutrafin (cycle) biological aquarium supplement and Nutrafin aqua plus water conditioner. Both were added to stabilize the new tank before the fish were introduced into the tank. Once the new fish were Introduced, another dose of biological aquarium supplement was put into the tank. It has now been about 2 weeks since any other chemicals or additives were put into the tank.

Tank inhabitants: Currently one other glow light tetra. There were 3 in the tank, but one unfortunately passed away this morning and seemed to be having the same symptoms as the fish pictured above. The other glow light tetra I have in the tank is experiencing no symptoms at all.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): No recent additions. Only a fake plant and a few decorations for them to hide in.

Last edited:
Looks like a fungal infection. Do you have a water test kit to measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Unfortunately I don’t have a test kit right now, but my local pet store does test water for free. I’ll be taking a sample over there today.

Do a 75% water change right away , make sure you add water conditioner and try to keep the temp close to the tanks temp.

A clearer pic along with essjay’s requested info would be helpful.

Sure I will try and take a clearer pic! In the meantime I’m not sure if this image is clearer than the original?

Attachments

• C8D290CE-CAC2-4771-B72D-6937DA07B9EA.jpeg
    C8D290CE-CAC2-4771-B72D-6937DA07B9EA.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 96
One issue may be that your tank is not cycled and ammonia is affecting the fish gills. Also it appears to me your fish has ich. If other members agree you should increase the temp to 86 degrees and do frequent water changes.

Looks like ich. Fish also has a curled gill plate which is genetic and nothing you can do. He can live a long life with the Gill plate. For ich, raise your temp to 86F and leave it there for 14 days. Add 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water. Dissolve it in tank water first before adding to tank. Vacuum the substrate daily to pick up ich parasites. Take out about 5G of water and replace with fresh water. Add back 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt after adding back the fresh 5G of water. This is to replace what you removed. Remember to dissolve it first. At the end of 14 days, slowly lower your temp back to normal temp.

Have you heard of the nitrogen cycle if not there is a section on the forum that will help you or google it. Basically it takes time for a new tank and filter to form the bacteria need to absorb the ammonia your fish and decaying fish food create. To keep your fish alive you are going to have to do frequent water changes to keep the ammonia level below deadly levels until the bacteria kicks in. You can purchase Tetra SafeStart Plus to help jump start your cycle. Follow @Deanasue instruction on how to deal with the ich problem

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back