Need Fish ID

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

SuzyQ

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had this guy for about 5-6 years. I sear when I purchased him I was told it was some type of shark, maybe a catfish. I honestly donā€™t remember. It strikes me as some type of cat because of the short barbells at the front of his head. Heā€™s maybe about 2-3 inches in size.
9F66216A-51AA-4D01-93FC-DEC90C470F28.jpeg
87C6F5D5-14D8-41E7-B495-C055A229DC8D.jpeg

Would anyone have any idea as to what this guy is? He has a great little personality, gets a long with every fish he ever meets and is sometimes really active and others he likes to hide out. Also, I say he but I donā€™t know if I have a female or male here.
Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• 276AF9A2-F996-4304-9038-3B5A0424A00F.jpeg
    276AF9A2-F996-4304-9038-3B5A0424A00F.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 164
He looks to be in the shark catfish family... most common would be the iridescent shark.

If he is, he is severely stunted as they grow up to 51 inches.

The name is escaping me at the moment. It is not a shark, it is a type of catfish. Iā€™ll do some digging and get back to you. He looks cute though! :)

He looks to be in the shark catfish family... most common would be the iridescent shark.

If he is, he is severely stunted as they grow up to 51 inches.
Thatā€™s what I was thinking of. He might not be an IS (iridescent shark) due to the fact that the OP has him/her for over 5 years. It would at least be longer than a foot by now...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree that it looks like an ID shark. They get MASSIVE. What size tank is it in?

It's eyes are huge compared to it's body. It should be much bigger by now in any size tank.

It's a Pangasius sp and has a cloudy swollen eye and excess mucous on its fins.

You need to check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

When the fish has recovered and looks normal, return it to the shop you bought it from and don't buy any more. These fish need to be kept in groups and in huge ponds. They are not suitable for aquariums and should not be sold by shops.

Thatā€™s what I was thinking of. He might not be an IS (iridescent shark) due to the fact that the OP has him/her for over 5 years. It would at least be longer than a foot by now...
I do remember making sure that my tank was big enough for him/her when I got it. Like I said though, I really canā€™t remember what they told me it was.
I would hope itā€™s not an IS as Iā€™d feel awful if he/her was stunted because of me. He/herā€™s name is Tetris by the way. :)

It's a Pangasius sp and has a cloudy swollen eye and excess mucous on its fins.

You need to check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

When the fish has recovered and looks normal, return it to the shop you bought it from and don't buy any more. These fish need to be kept in groups and in huge ponds. They are not suitable for aquariums and should not be sold by shops.
Iā€™ve had him for years, but I NEVER would have purchased him for my 29 gal if I had known he was supposed to get that big. Never!!! Heā€™s only about 3 in. now.

I do remember making sure that my tank was big enough for him/her when I got it. Like I said though, I really canā€™t remember what they told me it was.
I would hope itā€™s not an IS as Iā€™d feel awful if he/her was stunted because of me. He/herā€™s name is Tetris by the way. :)
Pet stores sometimes give awful advice.

Thatā€™s very weird that he hasnā€™t grown at all.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back