Need answer urgently: re use of aquatic soil

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lindat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All. I have salvaged the gravel and JBL long term aquatic plant soil plus from my cracked tank. It had been planted up for about 4 month and it is usable without any other additives for 2 year. I have separated them out after they were in about 2inches of water in the tank without a pump for about a week and a half. It was covered by a tarpaulin. Is the soul still good to use? Just checking it wouldn't have grown bacteria.
Apologies on my needing quick answer but my fish are in a 57 litre emergency tank from a 300 litre and I'd like to get them into their new tank asap. Many thanks

I would say as long as you vacuum all the tarpaulin off/out of the sand, it would be good. Personally, if you have the budget, I would just buy new sand.

I would say as long as you vacuum all the tarpaulin off/out of the sand, it would be good. Personally, if you have the budget, I would just buy new sand.
Hi pheonixKingz. If it was just sand I probably wouldn't have bothered. But it's the plant soil that has long term nutrients in it. It cost me £70 4 months ago. Do you think it will be safe? I've already separated it out from the gravel. Not a job I'd like to do again.

Hi pheonixKingz. If it was just sand I probably wouldn't have bothered. But it's the plant soil that has long term nutrients in it. It cost me £70 4 months ago. Do you think it will be safe? I've already separated it out from the gravel. Not a job I'd like to do again.
I see. Is your substrate similar to FLUVAL planted substrate? If so, yes move it. I thought it was just sand. I only say move it because of all the money you have already invested into it.

It’s my understanding that as long as the substrate was kept moist then your BB are ok and it makes sense to salvage it, as well as it was such an expense. I would confirm that there is no mold or any odd odor just to be safe but you’re probably ok. Good luck

I see. Is your substrate similar to FLUVAL planted substrate? If so, yes move it. I thought it was just sand. I only say move it because of all the money you have already invested into it.
Yes PheonixKingZ it's similar to the Fluval planted substrate. Ok thank you. I will reuse it. I just wanted to check it wouldn't be harmful. My juvenile Discus are coming along nicely and are beginning to show their colours. I wouldn't like to harm them. Thanks for the advice.

It’s my understanding that as long as the substrate was kept moist then your BB are ok and it makes sense to salvage it, as well as it was such an expense. I would confirm that there is no mold or any odd odor just to be safe but you’re probably ok. Good luck
Hi Shabash. Can't see any mould and no odour. I was worried that it might be bad because It'd been kept wet in unmoving water. But glad it was in the water now. Thanks Shabash.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back