Need Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mowbz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, ive been snapping away at the tank for the last few days, trying to get some inspiration on what to do with it.

Im stuck for ideas on plants and fish moving forward. Stocklist is the 340 in my signature, and im open to all ideas. Would quite like some larger Cats, perhaps Syno's, not sure if this would be possible? (Rubbernose is a baby, only 2.5 inches) If not, more Cichlids? (Kribs are starting to breed once a month now, and currently have fry. They're left to fend for themselves, any extra's passed on via LFS)

I really want to get it planted out a little better. Its pretty bland right now. There are 4 fairly large swords, about 8 Anubias Barteri, about 20 stems of a tall and fast growing plant i forget the name of tall plant (cant miss it in the pics) 4 big pieces of mopani, and one large branch of unknown (Beautiful grain, cam from LFS, The really dark piece with moss on) Several crypts.

BTW, anyone agree i have the angriest looking Krib ever seen?!

All criticisms welcome!

Barbs
CopyofDSCN0043.jpg

Krib (Picture now fixed)
CopyofDSCN0046.jpg

Kribs M&F
CopyofDSCN0047.jpg

Full tank shot
DSCN0056.jpg

Full tank shot (Moved some plants, being blown about by the powehead)
DSCN0113.jpg

And again
DSCN0105.jpg

Thanks in advance!

EDIT : Bad pic link for male Krib on his own. Fixed.

Ive got some of that tall growing stuff. Pain in the ar*e as it dosent seen to root in the sand, but half way up the stems. Carnt get it to stay in the sand, keeps up rooting and floating round. Lol.

It seems to sprout its roots from the first leaf branch on the bottom of the plant, but thats exactly why ive moved and split it up. Im cheating at the mo, ive got lead ties on the bottoms while i grow the roots out, only had them a few weeks, and bought them as cuttings as apposed to proper plants.

Yours look really nice. Ive had mine a month and they look a state. Do you have a co2 setup?

I really like that stem plant at the front on the right, in front of the slate.

You don't happen to know what it is called do you?

Thanks

I couldnt tell you what it is unfortunately. I bought it from a lfs, and the guy was upfront in telling me its not a true aquatic plant, and would probably need full Co2 and ferts to get it to even live. I took that challenge (as its was £2.50!) knowing i only dose ferts but dont have CO2, and its just about sprouting roots, although the first leaves it had are looking tired, and the new ones it seems to be shooting i doubt will appear before the rest dies, but ill grab you a better pic incase anyone elseknows what it is!.

In answer to D1S, no CO2, but plan to set this up on my 80ltre as a test before i run it on this 340! Never used it before.

How about a nice shoal of Hoplo's? (I always say That!)

And some nice pieces of bogwood?

Looking good though :good:

Ive not looked into Hoplo's, but i did scribble down the name when i saw them in another members 750ltr tank earlier. Would they be happy with tigers and Kribs though?

Heres that plant ainsy. The barb have had a go at the edges of the leaves that have started to die off. The new ones are shooting at the base of the current stalks. I think its only the ferts i dose helping it. Its grown 2 2" roots in the month ive had it!

DSCN0120.jpg

Im at the stage with them now were i think they need replacing. Really want to setup co2 but gotta wait till some point this year. :crazy: bought them amongst other plants and was told to keep an eye on them as some plants will do ok without added co2 but others just die. Guess these need co2 setup. Lol

Im at the stage with them now were i think they need replacing. Really want to setup co2 but gotta wait till some point this year. :crazy:

Neither of mine run CO2, but im want to run it on the 20gal and plant that out while i "find my feet" with it, then ill invest in something big enough to run the 340 on CO2!

I just doe premixed ferts, which is fairly expensive, but works well. Im thinking of switching to power to save on costs!

Ive not looked into Hoplo's, but i did scribble down the name when i saw them in another members 750ltr tank earlier. Would they be happy with tigers and Kribs though?

Heres that plant ainsy. The barb have had a go at the edges of the leaves that have started to die off. The new ones are shooting at the base of the current stalks. I think its only the ferts i dose helping it. Its grown 2 2" roots in the month ive had it!

DSCN0120.jpg
They were mine! lol. Hoplos pretty much get on with anything IMO. And are a very active fish, as long as you have a few.

Absolute peach of a tank mate!! Really nice!

That background looks great too :good:

What about a we group of congos? not sure how your tigers would be with them? But there's certainly enough space!

Crackin tank though :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back