Need advice on water parameters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is my second tank which I plan to stock with some sparklers in a few hours time (doesnā€™t look promising due to these water parameters though) Ammonia is 0 and Nitrite Iā€™m guessing is inbetween .25-.5 I know this is toxic to fish. But I havenā€™t changed the water for about 3 weeks (fishless cycle) or so. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m assuming itā€™s so high. Anyway I just found about using established media from my other tank, that has been set up for 14 months. Would it be ok to take some gravel out of my big tank into my little tank to eliminate the nitrite? If I did this could I add fish today? Or is that a bad idea. Thanks all for your help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use filter material and gravel from an established tank to help speed up a cycle. Filter media is better than gravel.

DO NOT add any fish to the tank if there is any ammonia or nitrite, or if the nitrates are above 20ppm. Wait until the tank has cycled and there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 20ppm of nitrate before adding fish.

I am new here but what about Seachem stability? It says if you use it to introduce the good bacteria you don't have to wait to add fish. I use it and it has never failed me. Just be careful if ya like Colin_T said if there is ammonia or nitrates could kill the fish.

You can use filter material and gravel from an established tank to help speed up a cycle. Filter media is better than gravel.

DO NOT add any fish to the tank if there is any ammonia or nitrite, or if the nitrates are above 20ppm. Wait until the tank has cycled and there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 20ppm of nitrate before adding fish.

Luckily, my lfs who is actually helpful. Said that they want to make sure that the water in their tanks is ok and the fish are ok before they sell them to me. They said come in next week and pick them up. Luckily it works out well as my water isnā€™t quite right. How long will the established media take to get rid of the nitrite? Iā€™m guessing itā€™s not far away from being fully cycled.

I am new here but what about Seachem stability? It says if you use it to introduce the good bacteria you don't have to wait to add fish. I use it and it has never failed me. Just be careful if ya like Colin_T said if there is ammonia or nitrates could kill the fish.

Iā€™ve never seen that where I live. But I think imma just wait it out. Cheers for the suggestion though.

If the established filter media settles into the new tank, the ammonia and nitrite should drop within 24-48 hours.

If the established filter media settles into the new tank, the ammonia and nitrite should drop within 24-48 hours.

Alright awesome. Thank you very much for your help :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back