Need advice on Betta Fin Rot treatment

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
I have betta fish (Double Tail Half-Moon) since last three months along with 5 black neon tetras in 10 gallon fully cycled tank. No conflict between these two fish and no nip fin etc.
He had some fin damaged due to HOB filter inlet almost a month back. So I now put sponge on inlet of HOB filter to avoid further damage to his fins.
Over last one month, I did below to cure his fin damage
Week 1 - I covered my HOB filter inlet with sponge and baffled HOB Filter Flow by putting sponge at outlet. Also I started API stress Coat+ and daily 25% water changes but didn't help in-fact I started seeing more ragged edges
Week 2 - I treated with API BettaFix, no improvements but even more ragged edges
Week 3 - Continued daily 25% water changes with API Stress Coat+ and also added 2 Indian Almond Leaves but no improvement but even more ragged edges. So I believed he has developed fin rot. So I decided to treat with Medicine.
Week 4 - Treated with Jungle Fungus Clear two dose. But still I don’t see any improvements.

pH = 7
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5 to 10 ppm

Live plants - Anubis, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, S. Repens

Please see his below pic before tin damage for comparison. The pic with yellow rectangle
is when I noticed fin damaged, which is month back. The middle picture is taken today. Last picture is before fin damage.

Any suggestions on what treatment should I follow next to help cure fin rot?
Will aquarium salt help treatment help? I am also worried about live plants before doing aquarium salt treatment. Will aquarium salt treatment has impact on my live plants.

Also, any idea how long it will take to grow is fine backs after sign of regrowth?

thanks !!

Attachments

• D8FE1599-01BC-4E4B-8543-1B807C2B1313.jpeg
    D8FE1599-01BC-4E4B-8543-1B807C2B1313.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 68
  • B9C31523-3F4A-4A86-B58D-AF7113ACA901.jpeg
    B9C31523-3F4A-4A86-B58D-AF7113ACA901.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 2AD17D82-1CFF-4648-9AE2-CCC057142977.jpeg
    2AD17D82-1CFF-4648-9AE2-CCC057142977.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 62
First, don’t use any meds ending in fix, Melafix, primafix, Betta Fix, etc. They all have tea tree oil in them which can coat the betta’s labrynth organ and suffocate him. Best thing for fin Rot is 50% daily water changes for 14 days along with aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon (dissolved) for every 5 gallons of water in your 1st dose. After this add 1/2 the amount of salt after each 50% daily water change ( 1/2 teaspoon per every 5 gallons). Salt is an astringent to keep bacteria away and reduces stress. Good luck and keep us posted! :) P.S. - He does appear to have some clear, new growth started.

First, don’t use any meds ending in fix, Melafix, primafix, Betta Fix, etc. They all have tea tree oil in them which can coat the betta’s labrynth organ and suffocate him. Best thing for fin Rot is 50% daily water changes for 14 days along with aquarium salt at 1 teaspoon (dissolved) for every 5 gallons of water in your 1st dose. After this add 1/2 the amount of salt after each 50% daily water change ( 1/2 teaspoon per every 5 gallons). Salt is an astringent to keep bacteria away and reduces stress. Good luck and keep us posted! :) P.S. - He does appear to have some clear, new growth started.
Thanks for the reply and advice.
As new growth started on his fins, Is it ok to start aquarium salt treatment now or should I wait and continue doing just water changes. If I should wait for aquarium salt treatment then how long should I wait.
Please suggest !! Thanks

Yesterday I completed 14 days of aquarium salt treatment. For last seven days of 14 days of treatment, I did 1 rounded tablespoon per 1 gallon of water treatment. I now see new growth. It’s very slow but it’s now visible.
At the end of 14th day, I started doing 30% water changes without adding any additional salt. As per my calculation by the end of 3rd week of daily 30% water changes I should be able to get salt out of my tank.
Will keep you posted on progress.

Most reactions

trending

Back