FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Arjun

Reaction score
I planing to build a custom aquarium with the below dimensions:

Length: 60 inches
Height: 24 inches
Depth: 24

And so it will hold 149 gallons, i considering glass as the material (i like acrylic more but it's much more expensive). I'm gonna use 12mm thickness. I also need a sump, probably gonna use a 40 gallon container for that.

For sump media im gonna use ceramic rings, bio balls, coarse sponge, fliter floss. (May change)

I want to keep Oscars or some giant goldfishes or 2 silver arowanas.

Now i have some questions.
Am i making any wrong choices here?
Is 12mm glass enough?
Or should i avoid glass?
At what height should i cut holes for overflow to my sump?
Is 40 gallon sump enough?
Can I use black silicone sealant to stick the glass?

All advices and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Last edited:
If the tank is 5 foot long x 2 foot wide x 2 foot high, and it has cross members and support straps on the top, then it can be made out of 10mm thick glass. If you don't have cross members and support strips, then 12-15mm thick glass is safer and won't bulge out sideways as much.

Black silicon is fine as long as it's for glass aquariums. You will need 1-2mm of silicon between the sheets of glass where they join. The silicon will need at least 7 days to cure before the tank is moved or filled up.

Sumps should be about half the size of the main tank or bigger. They have to hold all the water that drains from the tank when the power is off, as well as the water that is in the sump while the power is on. On a 5x2x2ft tank, you want a sump that is at least 3ftx2ftx18inches high.

Drain holes in the glass are normally near the corners for more strength, and the top of the holes are about 1-2 inches below the support strips on the tank. Make sure the holes are about 2 inches in diameter. Get some pvc pipe fittings and make the holes just big enough for the fittings.

No to the arowana, they need a pond and should not be kept in aquariums.

A pair of Oscar cichlids or some goldfish would be fine.

If the tank is 5 foot long x 2 foot wide x 2 foot high, and it has cross members and support straps on the top, then it can be made out of 10mm thick glass. If you don't have cross members and support strips, then 12-15mm thick glass is safer and won't bulge out sideways as much.

Black silicon is fine as long as it's for glass aquariums. You will need 1-2mm of silicon between the sheets of glass where they join. The silicon will need at least 7 days to cure before the tank is moved or filled up.

Sumps should be about half the size of the main tank or bigger. They have to hold all the water that drains from the tank when the power is off, as well as the water that is in the sump while the power is on. On a 5x2x2ft tank, you want a sump that is at least 3ftx2ftx18inches high.

Drain holes in the glass are normally near the corners for more strength, and the top of the holes are about 1-2 inches below the support strips on the tank. Make sure the holes are about 2 inches in diameter. Get some pvc pipe fittings and make the holes just big enough for the fittings.

No to the arowana, they need a pond and should not be kept in aquariums.

A pair of Oscar cichlids or some goldfish would be fine.
Hey, can you show your tank or tanks? You have been replying to most of my threads I did love to see your setup. And thanks for the reply. I won't build it my self I'm hiring someone who has been doing this stuff, and he said he will be using 12mm glass and will be braced. Right now I so much confused about how many holes to cut, where to cut ( bottom panel or side panel) and how to make a good-looking top cover that can neatly fit a lighting setup.

In Australia we make 3x2x2, 4x2x2, 5x2x2 and 6x2x2ft tanks out of 10mm thick glass. They have 1 cross member on the 3 & 4ft tanks, and 1 or 2 (usually 2) on the 5ft, and 2 on the 6ft.

Cross members are usually 3-4 inches wide.

You can get the tank in 12mm glass if you like but it's heavier than 10mm glass. It doesn't seem like much (2mm), but it makes a huge difference to weight.

---------------------
Holes usually go in the back piece of glass, one hole on either side, at the top, in each corner. Some people have 2 drain holes and 1 return hole just in case one hole gets blocked up. Then the water can drain out the second drain hole.

Holes are normally put near the top corner of the tank. Come in 4 inches from the side of the tank and have the edge of the hole start there.

Cross members and support strips are normally made from the same thickness glass as the tank (10-12mm) and the support strips will be 10-12mm below the top edge of the glass. You have another 10-12mm for the support strip, then 1-2 inches below the bottom of the support strip is where the top of the holes are usually located.

If the tank is made from 10mm thick glass, the bottom of the support strips should be 20mm below the top edge of the glass. Come down 1-2 inches below that and that is where the top of the holes should be.

Hey just a quick question, is it really necessary to place a thermocol sheet under the tank while placing it on the table?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back