Need advice about chloramines in my tap, Hypancistrus L260's!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I must admit, I find it humorous to read statements like this: "the "unknown" chemical substance in Prime (Seachem can't or won't comment on this)"

Many companies withhold proprietary information; it is nothing new, secretive, or misleading.

Does one really believe Ford shares technological information/advances with Chevrolet? How about Lockheed and Boeing? Microsoft and Apple?

Just because a company withholds proprietary information is not a reason to avoid their products....if it works, it works...no need to reveal secrets of the trade.
Yup thats true.... Although it does freak people out when they dont know what their putting in their tank.
On the other side, we eat things where we dont even read the ingredients that are in it and if we do read it we dont care cause it just tastes good

Yup thats true.... Although it does freak people out when they dont know what their putting in their tank.
On the other side, we eat things where we dont even read the ingredients that are in it and if we do read it we dont care cause it just tastes good
Wanna guess if the companies in the attached list share proprietary information amongst themselves, or with the general public?

My guess would be "no"

At any rate, back to the topic on hand....for the record, I have used Seachem Prime in all of my tanks since I began fishkeeping around 10 years ago, and it has worked just fine for me

Wanna guess if the companies in the attached list share proprietary information amongst themselves, or with the general public?

My guess would be "no"

At any rate, back to the topic on hand....for the record, I have used Seachem Prime in all of my tanks since I began fishkeeping around 10 years ago, and it has worked just fine for me

We have a very different approach to keeping fish, so that ends it.

Be careful what you ask for if you do not know the answer. :cool:

Would you like to know the ingredients of a number of the dechlor products?

Aquarium Water Conditioners; Review, Information​

By Carl Strohmeyer-PAMR 40+ years experience
Updated 11/22/21
AQUARIUM (& Pond) WATER CONDITIONERS; their ingredients (where available), what chemical functions they perform and uses based on my opinions of each based on using these products in a professional capacity (35 years of aquarium maintenance and research).
Here are a few aquatic conditioners discussed:
Click on the links and if the ingredients are divulged, you will see them.

For the entire article go here: https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2007/04/aquarium-water-conditioners.html

I have well water and do not normally use a dechlor, Howeverm after bleach dipping plants or when I am away from home at fish events, then I bring a bottle of both Amquel and Prime. I prefer the Amquel which does not detox metals but does so for ftoxic fish pheramones. In the wild these dissipate in a tank, not so easy.

Here is what is written re Prime:

SEACHEM PRIME & SAFE;

Prime contains complexed hydrosulfite salts which removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime also converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form (ammonium) that is readily removed by the tank’s nitrifying bacteria.
Prime may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity.

How Prime Converts toxic ammonia (NH3) to non toxic ammonium (NH4):
The process that takes place between Prime and toxic ammonia is not a straight conversion from NH3 to NH4.
Prime contains a binding agent that works to temporarily convert toxic ammonia (NH3) into a non toxic imidium salt using complexed hydrosulfite salts to chemically convert the ions in ammonia into a non toxic imidium salt.
It is noteworthy that this is a temporary conversion and Prime will only bind the ammonia in this form for up to 48 hours before the ions are free to re-associate into toxic NH3.

Prime also detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.

The ingredients of Prime also promote the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat and are non-acidic and will not impact pH.

While Safe is a similar dry version of Prime, with the exception that it does not detoxify heavy metals, nor will it stimulate the natural slime coat of the fish. Unfortunately, due to its dry state, those benefits can not be achieved. Safe cannot be made into Prime, as it does not have stabilizers like Prime and will not last long term in a liquid form. If diluted into a liquid, it must be used immediately.
For these reasons, for the average aquarium keeper, I generally recommend Prime over Safe.
Reference: AAP/SeaChem Safe

I do not want to add anything that is supposed to help with a slime coat that is not a named ingredient. I rarely use my Prime and it is the smallest bottle they offer.

I should also say that a number of years back I had a head to head argument with Carl on the nitrifying bacteria. He was wrong and admitted it finally when I overloaded him with research papoers and text references. He is a pretty smart guy but he is also not always right as far as I am concerned. But then nether am I.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back