Need A Fish For My Tank Asap!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JustuhFish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My question is i need a fish to eat all the waste my fish make and it not being picked on. I have 2 baby oscars around 3.5 inches and a baby senegal bichir around 4 inches and 1 bala shark around 4 inches. They eat alot pellets and make a huge mess of them and spit parts of it out and makes a huge mess!

There really are no fish that will eat that sort of waste.

You'd be better off changing your fish's current diet away from pellets and onto things like raw fish, crickets or earthworms (as long as you can guarantee they're free from pesticides and fertilisers), which make less mess than pellets do.

Better filtration, shrimps (?), or snails are your best bet..

Shrimp are good for cleaning, but it may be hard to find a shrimp that won't be picked on. Bamboo shrimp are large, so they may do.

How often are you vacuuming the substrate and changing the water?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I filter it like once every 2 weeks also i will look into those bamboo shrimp.

What do you mean by filtering it? It should always have a filter running. If you mean vacuum then I'd vacuum at least once a week if your having issues with waste.

Bamboo shrimp fan the water column for small particles to eat, I'm not sure if they'd help at all.

And i searched up those bamboo shrimp and they would be way way to small since oscars grow up to around 14 inches and my bichir 18 inches haha.

Wooo Wooo Wooo can i just add stuff...

How big is your tank?

What filters are you running? Is the tank cycled?

There are no fish, shrimp, or snails that eat fish waste, there is bacteria that does though.

Shrimp of any species will wind up as food eventually most likely for the oscars.

Tank maintenance needs to be done weekly, but with 2 oscars it should done more frequently and with greater amounts changed, so probably about 50% weekly but i still dont know your tank size so can recommend, you should remove as much waste as possible.

Your bala needs a school of 6+ and at least a 6ft tank for their potential size.

Do you have gravel or sand?
Senegalus is what bichir species you probably have, it reaches around 12" when kept properly, and may just reach 10" due to genetics, its a species of upper jaw bichir and dont have particularly large mouths compared to other bichirs, but still can harm any invertebrates in the tank.

I have a 250 gallon tank and i have 2 filters (Forgot name) they do around 500 gallons a hour each. So should i do 20-50% water changes weekly? And i have gravel.

Its hard to imagine a 250 gallon tank gets filled up with feces from 4 baby fish and that much filtration and if its cycled, it is right? 

And my bad, balas need a 8ft tank, which yours is right? Id get 5 or more of the balas.

Thanks. Im thinking of getting another tank for thw bala and get some more balas and some school fish because im afraid the oscars might start attacking the balas.

If you have large enough balas then you should be fine, just up their school, your tank isnt stocked at all if its a 250 gallon. You could get a few more bichirs and the bala school to 6, but i dont know why you have large quantities of poo with two 4" oscars.

Is th tank cycled? What are the dimensions? 

I'd be doing a minimum of 25% weekly, though 50% would probably be better. Be sure to vacuum :) Do you have gravel or sand?

Most reactions

Back