Nature Aquarium World Books, Worth It?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mr Miagi

Veins are flowing with SW, now going back to FW!
Reaction score
Hey TFF, long time no post! Things are looking amazing here, and the people seem ALOT friendlier. Considering the last time I was active was 2008, lots of fresh faces, along with old ones (Steelhealr is still going.... :hyper: )

I have been contemplating a move to a couple of very large tanks, one marine, one freshwater. I LOVE Amano's work (who doesnt right?) and think I will set up something like a jungle Island kinda setup in the large FW tank, housing Angels, Discus, and assorted little species.

Anywho, I have plenty of experience in FW from a long time ago (only have SW now), but my last FW planted was just an inert-sediment based SE Asian low maintenance set-up, and now I want to delve into the big time!

Will these books get me on my way, or are they just based on the aquascape side of things?

Im planning the tank with an overflow/sump so I can remove all equipment to outside the viewing tank. Will this higher turnover/interaction to the atmosphere affect any CO2 I have to add? Its all these questions I need answering!

Cheers, Benny

I've only read the first one, borrowed from a library, and found it totally pointless and the title utterly misleading.

To be fair, I'm not an Amano fan; his art is directed at creating tanks that operate only in the short term, for photographs, and invariably place limits on the types and numbers of fish being kept. With regard to making neons or whatever school, part of the art is stressing the schooling fish so they feel nervous and bunch up together, which isn't their natural behaviour when they're relaxed. So while I having nothing but admiration for people who can create Amano-style aquaria, this isn't a part of the aquarium hobby that speaks to me.

If you're interested in recreating particular habitats, there are any number of much better books on the market. The "nature aquarium" after all is not about creating something that looks like a biotope, but something more like a landscaped garden.

In short, it depends on what you're after. If you enjoy the Amano aquarium approach, I'm sure you'd find these books worthwhile. But if you're after a true biotope aquarium that actually resembles a particular habitat, the Amano approach is irrelevant.

Cheers, Neale

Thankyou for your reply nmonks. Perhaps I am better off just getting the book for their (what I think as) amazing aquascape eye-candy. You are deffinately right in saying the aquariums are done more so for quick, short term motives. This is something im against in my marine aquarium keeping, so my ideas for a planted aquarium go well beyond short term goals, id be looking at keeping plants/fish for years.

No one else with these books? Im surprised....

To be fair, I'm not an Amano fan; his art is directed at creating tanks that operate only in the short term, for photographs, and invariably place limits on the types and numbers of fish being kept.

This is 100% wrong, Neale, and you know it. Take a look at the book again, and tell me they are short term scapes purely for photographic purposes, full of stressed fish. Try the latest Aqua Journals, or have a look at his display tanks in Niigata.

Fair enough, you don`t buy in to Nature Aquariums, but this myopic view shouldn`t be allowed to go unchallenged. How many people on here have the skills to care for shoals of Altums in 9000l?

You want stressed fish, take a look at myriad posts on this forum of diseased fish, people messing with water chemistry etc.

Mr Miagi, the scapes in the Nature Aquarium series are a little dated now (3 books). Try looking out for Aqua Journals:

http://www.adana.co.jp/catalog/index.php?main_page=index

I`ll PM you a list of planted tank sites for inspiration, if you wish.

Dave.

Really?

The whole point to Amano's stuff is that he's creating tanks to be photographed. He's a photographer. His tanks aren't designed to be set up in a living room for ten years. Everyone in the business knows this, and that's why he's a bit of a divisive figure among serious aquarists. Some people see his stuff as Japanese flower arranging that happens to include a school of tetras, while others see it as one of the most vibrant branches of the fishkeeping hobby. The fact there's a lot of money involved makes things worse.

As for limits on the types of fish you can keep, I stand by that. Ever seen an Amano tank for large suckermouth catfish, mbuna, medium-sized barbs, stingrays or oscars? Amano tanks are for little itty-bitty tetras and shrimps, maybe some Otocinclus. But that's about it. My Panaque would simply eat her way through half an Amano tank, and uproot the rest! My halfbeaks need floating plants for shade and as places for their fry to hide. So there are two examples of my personal choices of fish that wouldn't work in a Nature Aquarium. If you're into fish rather than plants, and want to be able to keep and breed a variety of different species, then the Amano tank isn't the way forward. Sure, some of the ideas might inspire your decorating scheme, but that's not the same thing as creating a Nature Aquarium.

Like I said, I'm not knocking the fun to be had from doing the Nature Aquarium thing. Each to their own. But if fish rather than plants are your interest, then the Amano books are going to be less good value than, say, Peter Scott's 'The Complete Aquarium' which has nice biotope aquaria that would be viable long-term projects.

Cheers, Neale

To be fair, I'm not an Amano fan; his art is directed at creating tanks that operate only in the short term, for photographs, and invariably place limits on the types and numbers of fish being kept.
This is 100% wrong, Neale, and you know it. Take a look at the book again, and tell me they are short term scapes purely for photographic purposes, full of stressed fish. Try the latest Aqua Journals, or have a look at his display tanks in Niigata.

Really?

The whole point to Amano's stuff is that he's creating tanks to be photographed. He's a photographer.

Come on Neale, surely you are better than this. Take a look at Volume 1 again. What about the tank on p142/143? There are myriad other examples of tanks that have been around for a long time.

His tanks aren't designed to be set up in a living room for ten years.

What is your point, here? What percentage of aquarists have kept a set up this long? So what if we choose not to? I am sure the majority of people that would take your stand point haven`t had tanks for this long. It is not just the planted community that doesn`t set up tanks with a ten year life in mind.

The fact there's a lot of money involved makes things worse.

This is true, but nobody has to buy his products. I know I don`t, with the exception of Amazonia. Nobody points out his extortionate prices and snake oil products more vociferously than the planted community.

As for limits on the types of fish you can keep, I stand by that. Ever seen an Amano tank for large suckermouth catfish, mbuna, medium-sized barbs, stingrays or oscars? Amano tanks are for little itty-bitty tetras and shrimps, maybe some Otocinclus.

Really? What environment would you give these stressed out tiddlers? What about the tank on p82 with six Myxocyprinus asiaticus.

img0008xj6.jpg

foto01a_108.jpg

Regards, Dave.

Hi Mr. Miagi, definitely long time no see! Welcome back to Planted! I do remember that low-maintenance scape of yours and you'll find that the trend here is more actually towards the more low-maintenance systems. My 36g will be four years old in August, I believe. Not quite at 10 years yet, but I bet I could get it there with the right maintenance. :lol: I also think that you can find many good sources here.

Yep, SH is still here. His FW is pushing 6 years, I think. :hyper: You should go bug him over at the nano reef section. I remember your saltwater systems too.

I think a happy medium can certainly be struck, respecting the needs of the fish and creating a lovely Nature style scape. Mr. Miagi, check out PARC. It has a lot of information on basic planted tank setup that can easily be applied regardless of what type of planted tank you want. There is also a pinned topic on aquascaping.

llj

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back