Naterjm - January 2021 Tank of the Month Winner (17 - 30 G)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator āš’ļø
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
We have a winner in Fishforums.net
January 2021 Tank
of the Month Contest

We had 6 awesome tanks entered in this month's TOTM contest featuring tanks sized at 17 to 30 gallons. But only one could win...

And the winner is.......
:band:
:hooray:
Naterjm
Let's all congratulate him
:drinks:
Here's the winning tank and its description
77faadcc-db3b-4b1c-955f-48128d941f8a-jpeg.125886
After 13-15 years out of the hobby, I sparked an interest in getting back into fish keeping with my 9year old son. It became somewhat of a great project to plan and gradually put together, so weā€™ll start with a few details....

Tank setup:
-20 gallon long (brand unknown, free off Kijiji and re-sealed)
-Eheim 100w heater
-Aqueon Quietflow 10 air pump with a 1ā€ air stone
-Aqueon folding lid with matching light canopy
-2x Aqueon 36ā€ LED lights, one Beauty max and one Day time White
-Fluval 207 canister filter
-Hand painted background (son helped me with)
-TopFin black fine gravel.
-Variety of river rock and black/grey flagstone
-Custom built aquarium stand by yours truly. Frame built out of pressure treated 2x4, specs from most readily available stand builds, strong as can be and built to last. Trimmed it out with a variety of leftover pressure treated railing and fence building materials I had leftover. Doors I threw together really quick and they need replacing already, but thatā€™s a different story. Under cabinet led light strips are connected to a door switch that turns the lights on when you open the left door.

Stocking:
2x Corydoras Pandas
15x Neon & Diamond Neon Tetras
2x Zebra Nerite snails
3x Otocinclus
3x Amano shrimp

Future Stocking:
Plan to add 2 more pandas to complete the group when I can some in stock, my quarantine tank is running and waiting.

Plants:
Christmas Moss
Anubias nana
Crypt wendtii
Wisteria
Ludwigia red
Crypt becketti
Anubias congensis

fish feeding: tropical flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen baby brine shrimp, algae wafers, blanched zucchini, frozen bloodworms

plant feeding: seachem root tabs, aquarium co-op easy green

Tank is maintained with 25% weekly water changes using a mix of tap and RO water. The fluval bio rings were swapped out of the canister and replaced with lava rock and packed all three compartments full. Filter is serviced once every 3-4 weeks.

Consistent reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and usually <10 nitrate. Gh averaging ~100ppm with introduction of RO water. Ph consistent at 7.8. Temperature fluctuates between 76-78F, and the heater never turns on as I have the thermostat set to 72ish.

Iā€™m still waiting for the plants to fill out more to really get the looks Iā€™m going for, but so far Iā€™m very happy with it.
This is not an exciting to watch, itā€™s a very peaceful one. Which works well with the hardscape because it you want to find the ottos, shrimp or snails, sometime you gotta work for it. they have so many places to hide to find food.
Otherwise youā€™re just looking at plants and neons begging for food. Thatā€™s alright with me though, I can watch this tank all day long.
Best of all, itā€™s been a great experience getting my kids involved in the whole thing.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Natjm on your 20 gallon uniquely planted and well stocked tank. Well deserved win!

Coming in 2nd place is Wills with his 100 litre uniquely arranged tank. Congrats on your 2nd place finish.

Coming in third place is corylover5 with her 29 gallon nicely planted tank. NIce job, corylover5.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the TOTM contest. For those who entered but didn't win, keep improving your tanks and enter again in another TOTM contest.

Remember - it's not whether you win or lose that is important - what's important is that you participate in our contests.

Last edited:
Attention members:
Our exciting Pet of the Month contest is now accepting entries. You may enter any pet (except fish) that is in your household. You can view the entry thread HERE

This is fake news, if you count the legal votes I won this by a lot.

Joking :p

Its an awesome tank congratulations :)

Wills
I ran a vote recount and Naterjm won by a good margin. If you want to take it to the supreme court, have at it.

I ran a vote recount and Naterjm won by a good margin. If you want to take it to the supreme court, have at it.
I've spoken to my lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and he will be giving a press conference on the subject at a landscape garden centre this afternoon.

@Naterjm that's a really cool scape that, not seen many like it. Wish i had that sort of eye for detail :lol: Great job and congratulations :good:

We have a winner in Fishforums.net
January 2021 Tank
of the Month Contest

We had 6 awesome tanks entered in this month's TOTM contest featuring tanks sized at 17 to 30 gallons. But only one could win...

And the winner is.......
:band:
:hooray:
Naterjm
Let's all congratulate him
:drinks:
Here's the winning tank and its description
77faadcc-db3b-4b1c-955f-48128d941f8a-jpeg.125886
After 13-15 years out of the hobby, I sparked an interest in getting back into fish keeping with my 9year old son. It became somewhat of a great project to plan and gradually put together, so weā€™ll start with a few details....

Tank setup:
-20 gallon long (brand unknown, free off Kijiji and re-sealed)
-Eheim 100w heater
-Aqueon Quietflow 10 air pump with a 1ā€ air stone
-Aqueon folding lid with matching light canopy
-2x Aqueon 36ā€ LED lights, one Beauty max and one Day time White
-Fluval 207 canister filter
-Hand painted background (son helped me with)
-TopFin black fine gravel.
-Variety of river rock and black/grey flagstone
-Custom built aquarium stand by yours truly. Frame built out of pressure treated 2x4, specs from most readily available stand builds, strong as can be and built to last. Trimmed it out with a variety of leftover pressure treated railing and fence building materials I had leftover. Doors I threw together really quick and they need replacing already, but thatā€™s a different story. Under cabinet led light strips are connected to a door switch that turns the lights on when you open the left door.

Stocking:
2x Corydoras Pandas
15x Neon & Diamond Neon Tetras
2x Zebra Nerite snails
3x Otocinclus
3x Amano shrimp

Future Stocking:
Plan to add 2 more pandas to complete the group when I can some in stock, my quarantine tank is running and waiting.

Plants:
Christmas Moss
Anubias nana
Crypt wendtii
Wisteria
Ludwigia red
Crypt becketti
Anubias congensis

fish feeding: tropical flakes, frozen brine shrimp, frozen baby brine shrimp, algae wafers, blanched zucchini, frozen bloodworms

plant feeding: seachem root tabs, aquarium co-op easy green

Tank is maintained with 25% weekly water changes using a mix of tap and RO water. The fluval bio rings were swapped out of the canister and replaced with lava rock and packed all three compartments full. Filter is serviced once every 3-4 weeks.

Consistent reading of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and usually <10 nitrate. Gh averaging ~100ppm with introduction of RO water. Ph consistent at 7.8. Temperature fluctuates between 76-78F, and the heater never turns on as I have the thermostat set to 72ish.

Iā€™m still waiting for the plants to fill out more to really get the looks Iā€™m going for, but so far Iā€™m very happy with it.
This is not an exciting to watch, itā€™s a very peaceful one. Which works well with the hardscape because it you want to find the ottos, shrimp or snails, sometime you gotta work for it. they have so many places to hide to find food.
Otherwise youā€™re just looking at plants and neons begging for food. Thatā€™s alright with me though, I can watch this tank all day long.
Best of all, itā€™s been a great experience getting my kids involved in the whole thing.
Congratulations!

Lovely tank - well done.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back