Nano's Sound Cool

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, a "nano" tank is anything from about 10 gallons to 30 gallons... So, cost and available livestock are going to vary greatly... My 10 gallon is probably nearing $1000, counting all of the fish and coral that I've added in. I stopped adding a long time ago, but I know that last week alone, I added $50 worth of new coral (that got me 3 pieces).

The initial setup isn't all that much but if you want anything *in* the tank, that's where the cost is gonna get you.

In my 10g, I have 3 fish (but 2 is the recommended max - long story on how I got 3) and have several soft corals and snails and hermit crabs. If you go up to a 30gal, you can add more fish, but you're going to at least triple your setup costs b/c a large chunk of setting up a tank is in the liverock. It's recommended you get at least a pound per gallon of LR and at an average of $7 a lb, that can get pretty pricey.

Heres a link for a quick guide for a Nano tank (If you allready know about the water chemistry and rubbish like that)

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/index.p...opic=52478&st=0

Great tank, also has the tank name which you can search for on Ebay and buy for around £40, He also says the overall cost of his project. As its relevant to England you can inclue similar equipment to him.

BLOOM

Thanks for the info, how much will the setup cost including live rock but excluding coral and fish etc.
Could i keep a seahorse in a nano and if so what size tank would i need?

What about filtration and lighting?

well I spent close to 400 bucks setting up my 10 gal nano. when i upgrade my lighting to get corals itll be about 100 bucks ill also need to get a skimmer that hangs on the back of my tank rather than in the tank.....if there is such a thing. check out my diary along with parker313's and SH's

Thanks for the info, how much will the setup cost including live rock but excluding coral and fish etc.
Could i keep a seahorse in a nano and if so what size tank would i need?

What about filtration and lighting?
I don't know anything about keeping seahorses, but I know that they can be very delicate and tough to keep alive. I know I wouldn't be up for the challenge....

Again, the cost depends on what size tank and what equipment you choose - there's really not even a good way to ballpark it without knowing what size you're talking about.

Lighting - again, depends on what size tank you have and what equipment you have on hand already. I had a hood that fit my tank and just had to get a new bulb. The lighting can be pretty expensive though, especially if you want to keep some of the hard corals.

Filtration - live rock is the main source of filtration in a nano, that's why it's important not to scrimp at all there.

Have you read the topics pinned to the top of the Marine & Reef Chit Chat forum? They aren't just for large tanks, there's a lot of good information for anyone thinking about saltwater at all.

Look up captive bread seahorses, I plan on a pair for my 29gal. Right now it’s a FW tank but soon to be a SW. Captive bread (CB) seahorses are the best they are way easer to care for then SW. I would recommend one Pair for seahorses for 29 gal but it seems that a lot of people can keep a pair per every 10gal. And keep them very healthy and breading. So I guess you could keep 6 seahorses in a 30gal tank but I would not recommend that at all. Go to seahorse.com

Well, if you want seahorses expect to pay 79.99+ for ONE.
They are hard to keep, and are not recommended for begginers' in SW.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back