Nano tank stand sitting on tack strip?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RedSarah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a couple of questions for you about stand placement!

I've got a 7-gallon rimless cube on a 32" tall heavy duty wire rack (the tank sits directly on a 1" thick slab of hardwood). I live in a fully carpeted fourth-floor apartment. Today, I pulled a corner of the carpet back to reveal that the floors underneath are concrete (definitely quiets the illogical fear I had of my tiny aquarium falling through the floor...lol). But then I realized that I totally forgot about tack strips *facepalm*...

As the stand has settled, the front feet have compressed the carpet but the back feet are sitting firmly on the tack strips beneath the carpet. The stand is still quite level, and there is less than 1/16" difference between the water level at the front and back of the tank. Will this pose any issues, or is there any way to shimmy the stand away from the wall without removing the tank? The tank has leveling mat underneath it, and it will only be in this location until I get a new stand in about 6 months.

My second question is about placing tanks near windows. With a good adjustable heater, will the water temperature fluctuate too much if it sits against two exterior walls with windows? That area only gets about 1.5 hours of direct, late afternoon light each day. Also, I've read some opinions recently that sunlight does not increase algae growth in a well-balanced planted tank, contrary to what I've always read. Can anyone give insight on this?

Thanks!

I have no clue what to say about the first question, but as far as the second question goes...

For me personally, I would only put a tank near a window if I didnt have a light for. (So the plants would grow)

Does it get super cold where you live? :)

I have no clue what to say about the first question, but as far as the second question goes...

For me personally, I would only put a tank near a window if I didnt have a light for. (So the plants would grow)

Does it get super cold where you live? :)

Average winter temperatures here are in the mid 30’s (F). So not very cold, but it definitely isn’t warm year-round :)

Average winter temperatures here are in the mid 30’s (F). So not very cold, but it definitely isn’t warm year-round :)
I would say if you really wanted to (and if you have a good heater) then it would be alright. :)

(Oh, and is the window sill/table sturdy for the tank? Just remember 1 US gallon = about 8 pounds of water. ;))

I would say if you really wanted to (and if you have a good heater) then it would be alright. :)

(Oh, and is the window sill/table sturdy for the tank? Just remember 1 US gallon = about 8 pounds of water. ;))
Ok awesome, thank you! And yes, I’m super paranoid about stands failing, haha... for now it is on a small wire rack (800lb shelf capacity) and I will be getting a UNS aquarium stand soon!

Drain the water about halfway and pull it out that little bit. Probably not a good idea to be unlevel. I have a twenty gallon that sits about four feet away from a window. We got down to 15 degrees one night last week and no problems. I'm running a 100 watt heater and it stays 74 degrees where I have it set. If that's a south or west facing window Mr. Algae will pay you a visit.

Drain the water about halfway and pull it out that little bit. Probably not a good idea to be unlevel. I have a twenty gallon that sits about four feet away from a window. We got down to 15 degrees one night last week and no problems. I'm running a 100 watt heater and it stays 74 degrees where I have it set. If that's a south or west facing window Mr. Algae will pay you a visit.
Thanks for the advice, I’m going to move the stand out about an inch and a half. And that’s great to know about temperature! My window is almost exactly north-facing and get just a little direct light before the sun sets.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back