Nano tank betta gift - help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
199A246A-BCE9-4032-AB26-C6B4C35E16C9.jpeg

Left to right: oldest to newest strips (missed earliest week 1-2 readings). Yellow is ammonia, then nitrites, nitrates.

I thought I would post the test strip results before adding the little guy in. Heā€™s floating in the tank with some of the tank water in his cup for acclimation but come the morning he will probably be entering it since the tank has calmed down. Lively guy, appears to be doing well!

09CA097C-7B33-4644-BAF8-879330E60FE9.jpeg

Here he is, with his Anubias and Marimo ball. Tank monitors installed too.

Last edited:
Beautiful! Have you added Iā€™m yet? Just make sure your tank water is in the 76-78 degree Farinhite range. :)

What brand Is the tank? Also, have you bought root tabs, or liquid fert. Yet? :)

The Anubis grows best attached to a Rock, or a piece of driftwood. I recommend getting a small piece of lava rock (I use this specific kind of rock, because it is so many pours.) and tie (or super glue) the Anubis to the rock. :)

Iā€™m going to add him in a little bit. He got another water swap of his bowl, so another 1/3 out, and tank water in. Now he is adjusting to that. The lights are off in the room, door ajar to give some dim light. Only a few minutes and heā€™ll be in his new home!

The temp should be right in there but Iā€™ll double check all parameters before he enters the splash zone. As for ferts I did get the Flourish 3 piece kit and the plant sat with some of that in a very tiny fish travel tank up until being added last night so that it got a chance to absorb before being in the tank which will dilute it.

The tank is an Imagitarium. The model is called the semi-hexagonal 6.7 gallon. I selected it due to the size, reviews, and sale price.

I might do just that. At the moment the living plant is half tangled in the silk plant so itā€™s roots can be exposed without it swimming around like itā€™s its own fish and so far so good.

Little guy is doing fine! During my check ups Iā€™ve noticed him venturing out and exploring more. Got him fed the rest of his meal although the lid opening did startle him. I did notice one thing that puzzled me. When he goes near the filter flow up top, not the whole area just where it flows back in, itā€™s like an invisible hand nudges him from the other side. Is that too great a flow or to be expected when passing by where the filtered water comes out? Can adding filter medium into it help slow the flow?

He came up front just to pose for you all :)
8B7CBEB6-FA38-40FF-ACDC-2D020DA507D7.jpeg

He's really pretty! I bet your niece will love him. :)

The filter might be a little too strong. You could put a sponge over the outflow area. That would certainly slow it down a little bit and make the fish more comfortable.

012C676A-6876-4287-9EB6-AFEAD40AF348.jpeg
Yes, I have a similar filter, and here is what I did.....

Just put some cheese cloth over the back of the filter, so the bettas fins donā€™t get shredded. It looks ugly. But it is effective. :)

As for the out-flow, just put a piece of foam or sponge, in that little gap between the water dampener, and the out-flow holes. :)

He is so pretty! I hope everything works for you! :)

Darn, the filter is definitely a bit much for him as I found him pressed against the back of it. Could have been curious exploration but Iā€™d bet money it was the intake flow. So I removed the filter for now (still in water though) and will buy foam & cheesecloth tomorrow. The little guy appears to be okay, no damage from being stuck for a while but I bet he wasnā€™t happy (he did get an extra snack after to cheer him up).

Good. I suggest you get cheese cloth (with no extra scents). :)

The cheese cloth with prevent the bettas fin form getting shredded. :)

The target order is in; Cheesecloth ordered. Iā€™ll get it as soon as I get off work tomorrow. I will pick up a piece of foam as well - I found some that are filter replacement parts that I could pick up for a couple of bucks instead of getting some random foam. I figure that way I know it is supposed to be in an aquarium. :) I feel so bad after trying to get everything perfect that anything bad could happen to this little guy.

73995150-CEC4-463E-BC3C-4B06F2745E65.jpeg

New and improved!

I also put foam in the inside, since I did get filter foam, and I figured that would be a help too. Every little bit!

89439095-8892-4C31-970B-96EC6FD348FD.jpeg

Heā€™s super inquisitive! He checked it out right away & swam in front without being pushed aside! Mission accomplished!!!

Iā€™ll be taking the tank over and gifting it tomorrow. Obviously the fish will be removed, the water will go into a bucket, and Iā€™m doing a water change today. The transfer period should be very brief since sheā€™s close by. Is there anything else I should be aware of about fish in-transit?

Don't keep the fish in its container too long, and make sure he has room above the water to breathe.

Does the container have a lid? Bettas are very good jumpers, and if they don't like the space they are in, they will jump out of it find a better place.

Make sure to keep his water nice and warm. If he gets too cold, he will just sit at the bottom of the container and look dead. If he isn't in the container too long, then you shouldn't have an issue with this. I would still keep him as warm as possible though, just to be safe. :)

Also, I would let him get used to the water again before putting him in the tank. The water in the bucket will get cold and he might go into shock if you just throw him right back in.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the guidance FishFinatic! The container I plan to use is his original store betta cup. :)

Luckily I just have to go down the road but Iā€™ll keep the heater on in the main water bucket whenever possible. Iā€™ll be sure to float his cup before he goes back in.

The water change today went a-okay too!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back