Nano Bonsai Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So, it's been a month since I updated this. There were some issues, and I basically failed my dry start by well, making it too wet lol.

A lot of the monte carlo died to mold and I ended up flooding the tank to see if it would survive as there was still some green in there, well I don't think it's done too bad and has made a good comeback.
fish tank.jpg

There was a massive algae buildup as I did no water change or maintenance and just left it to its own devices, the glass was green so gave it a scrape and picked out some of the dead MC that was in there, then done a big water change and tested the water, had quite high nitrates pre WC, did the dead plants add to that? I now have a few ramshorn snails in there munching through the bottomless brunch of algae everywhere!

bonsai.jpg

Unfortunately, if the dry start had worked, I'd imagine this would be pretty close to a lovely lush carpet but we will try the dry start again in the future, maybe for an Iwagumi scape.

May redo the tree this weekend.

I've got the same tank! :) I am thinking of a snail and shrimp tank so only have few basic plants in there at the moment. However I'm inspired after reading your posts.
I have a 24 hour cycle light and this kind of aqua scaping would look nice :)

Glad to see an update and that it's coming along. I found when my tank had lots of plants and no fish it drove my GH down. I'm sure dead plants would add to nitrate - did you test tap water levels?

So, it's been a month since I updated this. There were some issues, and I basically failed my dry start by well, making it too wet lol.

A lot of the monte carlo died to mold and I ended up flooding the tank to see if it would survive as there was still some green in there, well I don't think it's done too bad and has made a good comeback.
View attachment 121112
There was a massive algae buildup as I did no water change or maintenance and just left it to its own devices, the glass was green so gave it a scrape and picked out some of the dead MC that was in there, then done a big water change and tested the water, had quite high nitrates pre WC, did the dead plants add to that? I now have a few ramshorn snails in there munching through the bottomless brunch of algae everywhere!

View attachment 121113
Unfortunately, if the dry start had worked, I'd imagine this would be pretty close to a lovely lush carpet but we will try the dry start again in the future, maybe for an Iwagumi scape.

May redo the tree this weekend.
Wells, seeing the tank on that washing machine makes me nervous haha

Good to know the MC made some sort recovery.
Are you going without co2 on this?

Haha this thread has made me laugh!

The tank will be coming out from the washing machine cupboard this weekend, the main reason for keeping it in there was cos of the dry start and had to have clingfilm which the cat would jump on, it will be coming out and have the lid put on.

The washing process is remove the tree so it doesn't fall off and then get cracking :cool: Now with snails in there though don't wanna give them a little spin.

Glad to see an update and that it's coming along. I found when my tank had lots of plants and no fish it drove my GH down. I'm sure dead plants would add to nitrate - did you test tap water levels?

Yea tap I think is around 10ppm mark, this was 40ish+.

It does have an established filter but not sure how long the bacteria survives.
Wells, seeing the tank on that washing machine makes me nervous haha

Good to know the MC made some sort recovery.
Are you going without co2 on this?

I think I'm going to leave co2 out, when I tried it in my main tank I had massive algae issues.

Little update, you will all be glad to see its been moved from off the washing machine and looking from my last post, not a bad bit of growth!

I have noticed what may be some hair algae, there's a couple snails in here but maybe I may need to bring in some shrimp.

Cut light down to 6 hours a day, although where its placed might be better off with no light and just the natural light.

20201124_164001.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back