Nano Bonsai Tank

Wow! I've been following this thread out of curiosity. I've never had much of an interest in the bonsai aquascape...but you may have swayed me to try this soon!

Great work, and I really appreciate you taking the time to journal your progress.

I love the nano scapes!
I really wish I had more disposable income to throw at aquascaping, it can get super expensive when you go all out. I did find a piece of driftwood that was sorta tree shaped once, glued some filter sponge pieces to the 'branches' and glued java moss to those to make a tree, and it worked pretty well! Was really pleased with it. But it's been in the 57 gallon for a long time and the moss is all full of hair algae that is impossible to remove, so might have to strip it down and start over once the algae is under control again.

Meanwhile, I want a tree for my own tanks, but those pre-made bonsai trees are expensive, and I haven't found another suitable piece yet. But I'm eyeballing all my little pieces of wood, wondering whether I can stick them together to make another. I do have some weeping moss I haven't attached to anything yet...

Love this tank and your scape Wells, can't wait to see it filled and growing in!

I love the nano scapes!
I really wish I had more disposable income to throw at aquascaping, it can get super expensive when you go all out. I did find a piece of driftwood that was sorta tree shaped once, glued some filter sponge pieces to the 'branches' and glued java moss to those to make a tree, and it worked pretty well! Was really pleased with it. But it's been in the 57 gallon for a long time and the moss is all full of hair algae that is impossible to remove, so might have to strip it down and start over once the algae is under control again.

Meanwhile, I want a tree for my own tanks, but those pre-made bonsai trees are expensive, and I haven't found another suitable piece yet. But I'm eyeballing all my little pieces of wood, wondering whether I can stick them together to make another. I do have some weeping moss I haven't attached to anything yet...

Love this tank and your scape Wells, can't wait to see it filled and growing in!
I was going to buy some more plants. But I couldn't lol. I'm broke now :rofl:

Interesting thread mate, I’ll be keeping an eye on how it progresses.

What lights have you got with it?

Looking great so far! Can’t wait for the finished project.

Where did you get your bonsai? Bonsais are super expensive, as least where I live.

This is a post I didn't think I would have to do, unfortunately my partner used the washing machine and the tank fell off, come home from work and this is the state of the scape

20200918_164057.jpg

Will salvage the plants and keep them healthy In water if I can but not sure when ill get this set up again, to be continued...

Aw, that's sad man, it was looking really good. :(

Just be thankful the tank didn't crack!

Oh no! :eek:

Did the tank crack at all when it fell? Hopefully just made a mess rather than damaged the glass...

Here we go for second attempt, I'm not as happy with the hard scape layout but I just couldn't get it right, planted more heavily in sections and put the crypts in, time will tell if that was the right decision.

20200922_181248.jpg

20200922_180745.jpg

The tank didn't have damage and didn't leak when I filled it up.

I think it's lovely :wub: so lucky the tank is ok too! Interested to see how the Java Moss comes on. The Xmas moss looks great on mine but I can't find one source with enough to finish it so contemplating triangle moss as it's similarly compact. @AdoraBelle Dearheart that's why the moss ball technique is tempting. Java Moss in my other tank is very dark, nearly black in places. Spiky moss just frackin dies on me. But in my small full of algae tank the moss balls look perfect. The Java Moss looks well on your tree @Wells when you had it on - you've enough that it'll look full & wispy :wub:

Here we go for second attempt, I'm not as happy with the hard scape layout but I just couldn't get it right, planted more heavily in sections and put the crypts in, time will tell if that was the right decision.

View attachment 117333
View attachment 117334

The tank didn't have damage and didn't leak when I filled it up.
Phew, but please take it off the washer!!!

Well, first progress update and its not going well.

20200928_161717.jpg

Quite a bit of monte carlo has died off, unsure why, too much water maybe?

Looking for advise, I take it I need to pull out and plant some new, but would like to have a better understanding before I make the same mistake.

Do you know whether your monte Carlo was grown emersed/submerged/tissue culture?
Are you using co2 after you've flooded it?

Do you know whether your monte Carlo was grown emersed/submerged/tissue culture?
Are you using co2 after you've flooded it?

Tropica 1-2 grow which I think is tissue culture?
Probably no co2 after flooding if can be avoided, but will if needs be.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back